SUMMER OF SAM
(First Viewing)

Spike Lee's take on the "Son of Sam" murders in New York City during the summer of 1977 centering on the residents of an Italian-American South Bronx neighborhood who live in fear and distrust of one another.

My biggest problem with the film was Spike's decision to focus on John Leguizamo and Mira Sorvino's marriage, as well as Adrien Brody and Jennifer Esposito's relationship more than the Son of Sam killer. I felt he missed the point of the film and it should have been more like a BRONX IS BURNING. The story should have focused on the .44 killer, the Yankees, the heatwave and blackouts that summer, etc. I really don't care about John Leguizamo being a cheating b*stard and his marriage fails as a result of it. Also, why did Spike even cast John Leguizamo as an Italian? I thought that was a bad choice on his part because John stuck out as a non-Italian. However, my favorite part of the film is when the Anthony character asks a punk on the street who his favorite baseball team is. The punk replies the Boston Red Sox before Anthony and his associate give the punk a beat down