Originally Posted By: Turnbull
But it raises a much larger question: how does an ultra-powerful man like Vito reconcile two irreconcilable forces--the inevitability of drugs due to the money potential that's irresistable and has greater potential power than even he wields; vs. the inevitability that drugs will destroy his family and all the others in the Mafia? That's worthy of a Greek tragedy.

Indeed...so you are saying he sees that the demise of his enterprise is inevitable whatever he does. This idea of tragedy is borne out in the script....when Michael proposes to Kay he tells her his father's way of doing things is over "even he knows that " and again when the Don wistfully tells Michael he wanted something different for him interesting because "something different" was what Michael wanted in his rebellious phase (nice irony), they agree "there wasn't enough time, and Michael says "We'll get there." In those moments I think Michael really believed he would go legit...but because of his hubris he never did....more Greek tragedy.

"Io sono stanco, sono imbigliato, and I wan't everyone here to know, there ain't gonna be no trouble from me..Don Corleone..Cicc' a port!"

"I stood in the courtroom like a fool."

"I am Constanza: Lord of the idiots."