There is a woman on Oprah today who just had my blood boiling. The show is about people who are drowning in debt. This couple has 6 children, she doesn't work, and her husband makes $100,000 per year.

They own three cars, they are $135,000 in credit card debt and owe almost $700,000 on their house. They have no health insurance and no dental insurance. Their children have no clothes, because the mother buys them, and then sells them in a garage sale. They don't bring their kids to the dentist or doctor. One of their daughters has a tumor on her optic nerve, and she's supposed to get an MRI once a year. It's been almost three years since she had one because they "don't have the money", yet they give their children parties that cost thousands of dollars, spend $150 in the candy store, and she spends thousands every year on hair extensions, manicures and pedicures.

This has been passed off by Suze Orman as prevalent in America. How could this complete and total self-absorption be happening? I wanted to smack this woman with her crocodile tears!! Can't take care of her own kids, but she can rent her 13 year old a limo for her birthday party!!

I know this sounds like a rant, but there is a question in here! Are Americans that vested in accruing material things?? I can't imagine using cash advances from credit cards to pay other bills, ducking the phone calls from creditors that come in 6 or 8 times a day! However, this was passed off as "typical". Are we that impatient to accumulate cars and homes and clothes??

I'm also curious to ask our friends here from other countries if this is common where they live? Is this simply an American problem, or is it worldwide???

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club