When healthy, Giambi is a valuable power-hitter who can help take the pressure off of other hitters in the lineup, as well as cushion the middle of the lineup (walking A-Rod to get to Giambi, for example).

The problem is that he is a DH, a lefty DH no less, in a lineup that is obscenely lefty-heavy. If he could play even relatively competent defense, I'd consider him at first base, but he can barely run when he's healthy.

The Angels were, and likely should still be (if they don't acquire Bonds or A-Rod) interested in Giambi, and I suspect the Yankees could try and make a nice deal if they ate salary. I would, for instance, have a man crush on Brian Cashman if Chone Figgins came to New York. An instant utility player, lead-off man who would be a baserunning threat, something basically unheard of in New York.

Incidentally, I forgot that Bartolo Colon is going to be a free agent. Wonder if the Yankees would be interested...he's only three years removed from his Cy Young, and could be a nice bridge until the rest of the Yankees young pitchers move up?