I am going to get partially serious for a few moments.

Diners, for me, can be a very emotional subject. Let me hasten to say that I am absolutely not joking, here. I hope that, if this thread lasts at all, I can share a couple of stories that have to with the late Signora V. and myself, and our love of the true American Diner.

I want to say right now that an "emotional" subject does not necessarily mean a "depressing" subject. Not at all.

But, back on-topic: We loved the traditional American diner. We loved diners even before they became fashionable. Diners figured, in a sizable way, in my growing up, and later, when I met Signora V., in our life together. (Or they did, until some SOB stole our car back in 1993!)

Besides all that, you could usually get a good meal there, as well.

Before I go any further (and I have a lot further to go), do you have any stories about real American diners? Memories? Photos? Unusual anecdotes?

Diners, both in town and on the road, are the heart and soul of the sit-down meal when you're away from home - and, often times, when you're not. Argue with me if you will, but that is my opinion - and I shall not be moved.

Stories, links, and photos (when I can dig 'em out) will follow. (BTW, Signora V. was magnificent with a camera.)

But, by all means, let's share diner stories.

Signor V.

"For me, there's only my wife..."

"Sure I cook with wine - sometimes I even add it to the food!"

"When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies?"

"It was a grass harp... And we listened."

"Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it? Every, every minute?"

"No. Saints and poets, maybe... they do some."