THE RUNDOWN 1/2
(First Viewing)

In order to get out of hock with mobster Billy Walker, restaraunteur-turned-"retrieval expert" Beck has to go down to Brazil and retrieve Billy's ne'er-do-well archaeologist-wannabe son Travis, who is searching for an ancient gold idol called the Gato del Diablo. This idol is prized by not only the local population as the path to their salvation, but by Cornelius Hatcher, slavedriving operator of the Helldorado mining town who oppresses said population in the name of profits, and Hatcher just won't let Beck leave with Travis.

The potential, at least for me with this film, was great. It started out well in the beginning with The Rock in the club. Also, the cameo by Arnold Schwarzenegger was a nice touch, kind of a passing the torch on film sort of moment. However, it went downhill when it tried to turn into a NATIONAL TREASURE. The Rock held his own even with Hollywood legend Christopher Walken onscreen. He improved quite a bit from THE SCORPION KING but again, the story just wasn't right. A fine cast with himself, Walken, Seann William Scott and Rosario Dawson. Unfortunately, I think this is The Rock's best and maybe most financial movie to date (unless recently released THE GAME PLAN is his highest grossing film). However, I did get to see my Rock Bottom that I was after! \:D