GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 129 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,851
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,479
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,530
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,436
Posts1,060,964
Members10,349
Most Online992
Jun 1st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 268 of 319 1 2 266 267 268 269 270 318 319
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: svsg] #441466
10/06/07 12:32 AM
10/06/07 12:32 AM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline
The Don
J Geoff  Offline
The Don

New Jersey, USA
 Originally Posted By: SC in another thread in General Discussion
Did [Sicilian] or Mr. Babe ever watch "Cinderella Man"?? (Its a wonderful movie based on James J Braddock, a former heavyweight champ)... if you haven't seen it, rent it!! (There's some awesome Depression era stuff in it).

I added CINDARELLA MAN (2005) to my Netflix queue after reading this on Sep 19th (I've kinda been getting into boxing lately, after watching a Rocky marathon last month ;\) ) ...GREAT movie!! I was sobbing like a baby for the last half hour...

I studied Italian for 2 semesters. Not once was a "C" pronounced as a "G", and never was a trailing "I" ignored! And I'm from Jersey! tongue lol

Whaddaya want me to do? Whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? --Peter Griffin

My DVDs | Facebook | Godfather Filming Locations
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: J Geoff] #441576
10/06/07 03:46 PM
10/06/07 03:46 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
 Originally Posted By: J Geoff
 Originally Posted By: SC in another thread in General Discussion
Did [Sicilian] or Mr. Babe ever watch "Cinderella Man"?? (Its a wonderful movie based on James J Braddock, a former heavyweight champ)... if you haven't seen it, rent it!! (There's some awesome Depression era stuff in it).

I added CINDARELLA MAN (2005) to my Netflix queue after reading this on Sep 19th (I've kinda been getting into boxing lately, after watching a Rocky marathon last month ;\) ) ...GREAT movie!! I was sobbing like a baby for the last half hour...

Yeah, I liked it too.

When it was called SEABISCUIT.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #441648
10/06/07 09:26 PM
10/06/07 09:26 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
Thought of my friend Pizzaboy today. I watched The Idolmaker while I was ironing this morning. I hadn't seen it in years, and it was a real pleasure to see it again.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: Sicilian Babe] #441670
10/06/07 11:41 PM
10/06/07 11:41 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline OP
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline OP
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
REIGN OVER ME
(First Viewing)

Alan Johnson has everything he needs to get through life: a good job, a beautiful and loving wife, and their wonderful children. Yet he feels isolated because he finds having a hard-working job and managing a family too much to handle and has no one to talk to about it. Charlie Fineman, on the other hand, doesn't have a job or a family. He used to have both until he lost his family on the fateful day of 9/11, and the grief he felt caused him to quit his job and isolate himself from everyone around him. As it turns out, Alan and Charlie were roommates in college, and a chance encounter one night rekindles the friendship they shared. But when Charlie's problems become too much to deal with, Alan is determined to help Charlie come out of his emotional abyss.

I'm really glad Adam Sandler got the chance to expand out of the comedy genre and do a dramatic piece. As a result, I think it's one of his finest acting jobs up there with his role in PUNCH-DRUNK LOVE. And although his character doesn't have much of a range during the film, I hope this is an indication of what we can expect to see from Sandler from now on. Don Cheadle also did a fine job as his friend trying to help him in any way possible.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: Irishman12] #441721
10/07/07 12:02 PM
10/07/07 12:02 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline OP
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline OP
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
VILLAGE OF THE DAMNED (1960)
(First Viewing)

In the small English village of Midwich everybody and everything falls into a deep, mysterious sleep for several hours in the middle of the day. Some months later every woman capable of child-bearing is pregnant and the children that are born out of these pregnancies seem to grow very fast and they all have the same blond hair and strange, penetrating eyes that make people do things they don't want to do.

Another great sci-fi classic, this one from jolly ol England. At first it felt like I was watching something Hitchcockian, like PSYCHO for so reason. I just enjoyed it so much the first time around. The story was easy to grasp and straightforward the children were pretty creepy too (especially 12-year-old Martin Stephens who played David, the leader of the group). If you're a sci-fi fan and have never seen this, definitely give it a shot.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: Irishman12] #441734
10/07/07 02:10 PM
10/07/07 02:10 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline OP
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline OP
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
CHILDREN OF THE DAMNED
(First Viewing)

Scientists discovers that there are six children who each have an enormous intelligence. The children are flown to London to be studied, but they each escape their embassy and gather in a church.

Not as effective as the original. The children weren't as creepy and they only did the things with their eyes twice throughout the whole film. They used more sound affects than anything. Also, not as much attention was given to the children. It was more about the adults bickering on what to do with them.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: Irishman12] #441760
10/07/07 05:00 PM
10/07/07 05:00 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline OP
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline OP
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
PLANET TERROR
(Third Viewing)

After an experimental bio-weapon is released, turning thousands into zombie-like creatures, it's up to a rag-tag group of survivors to stop the infected and those behind its release.

I think the added footage in this film was less noticeable than in DEATH PROOF and didn't add hardly any significance. However, between the two, this had more of the grindhouse feel with the missing reel and the grainy look of the film (love it by the way). Rose McGowan really smoked on the screen and it was great seeing her in a meaningful film again (the last for me was the original SCREAM). Robert follows up SIN CITY beautifully with this project with his good pal Quentin (they always work so well together). As I said in my FROM DUSK TILL DAWN review, I love Quetin's acting and this film is another reason why. For his two minutes worth of onscreen dialogue, it was great seeing Quentin degrade Rose. Now Mr. Rodriguez needs to get on the ball and give us our SIN CITY 2! If you enjoyed DEATH PROOF, watch this when it's released on October 16th.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: Irishman12] #441763
10/07/07 05:32 PM
10/07/07 05:32 PM
East Bay
Blibbleblabble Offline
Poo-tee-weet?
Blibbleblabble  Offline
Poo-tee-weet?

East Bay
How did you watch it again Irish? If it's not being released until the 16th...

"There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want." -Calvin and Hobbes
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: Blibbleblabble] #441771
10/07/07 06:41 PM
10/07/07 06:41 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline OP
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline OP
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
I got it early

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: Irishman12] #441776
10/07/07 07:06 PM
10/07/07 07:06 PM
East Bay
Blibbleblabble Offline
Poo-tee-weet?
Blibbleblabble  Offline
Poo-tee-weet?

East Bay
Dang you and your Blockbuster connections! (Or whatever connections)....!!!

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: Irishman12] #441778
10/07/07 07:10 PM
10/07/07 07:10 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
 Originally Posted By: Irishman12

CHILDREN OF THE DAMNED

Not as effective as the original. The children weren't as creepy and they only did the things with their eyes twice throughout the whole film.

I know that John Carpenter re-made Village of the Damned, but I was not aware that a remake was made of Children of the Damned.

I remember the original Village Of The Damned. Very eerie and creepy! Those eyes! \:o Good movie.

The original Children of The Damned was also a pretty creepy movie.

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: Blibbleblabble] #441802
10/07/07 08:43 PM
10/07/07 08:43 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline OP
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline OP
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
 Originally Posted By: Blibbleblabble
Dang you and your Blockbuster connections! (Or whatever connections)....!!!

Yes sir \:D

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: Don Cardi] #441803
10/07/07 08:44 PM
10/07/07 08:44 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline OP
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline OP
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
 Originally Posted By: Don Cardi

CHILDREN OF THE DAMNED

Not as effective as the original. The children weren't as creepy and they only did the things with their eyes twice throughout the whole film.

I know that John Carpenter re-made Village of the Damned, but I was not aware that a remake was made of Children of the Damned.

I remember the original Village Of The Damned. Very eerie and creepy! Those eyes! \:o Good movie.

I'm not aware of a remake either. The one I viewed was teh 1963 version. There was a remake for VILLAGE OF THE DAMNED by John Carpenter in 1995

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: Irishman12] #441809
10/07/07 09:00 PM
10/07/07 09:00 PM
East Bay
Blibbleblabble Offline
Poo-tee-weet?
Blibbleblabble  Offline
Poo-tee-weet?

East Bay
 Originally Posted By: Don Cardi

CHILDREN OF THE DAMNED

I'm not aware of a remake either. The one I viewed was teh 1963 version. There was a remake for VILLAGE OF THE DAMNED by John Carpenter in 1995

So did you mean Village of the Damned when you said:

CHILDREN OF THE DAMNED

Not as effective as the original.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: Blibbleblabble] #441836
10/07/07 10:35 PM
10/07/07 10:35 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline OP
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline OP
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
No, I meant CHILDREN. I meant CHILDREN wasn't as effective as VILLAGE (the original film in the series). Sorry for the confusion

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: Irishman12] #441854
10/08/07 12:39 AM
10/08/07 12:39 AM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline OP
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline OP
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
TWENTY BUCKS
(First Viewing)

The film follows a $20 bill from its ATM birth to its eventual demise. Along the way, the note weaves in and out of the lives of a street person, an aspiring writer, a stripper, two thieves, and many others in surprising and inventive ways.

An interesting and original story following a $20 bill around for 90 minutes and catching glimpses of characters lives. However, ultimately, I felt the movie could have been more and failed. The changing of the $20 from character to character could have been done better as well. However, a much more noticeable cast than I originally thought. I only knew Brendan Fraser was in it but costaring with him were: Shohreh Aghdashloo, Elisabeth Shue, Steve Buscemi, Christopher Lloyd, Jeremy Piven, William H. Macy, and David Schwimmer.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: Irishman12] #442018
10/09/07 12:16 AM
10/09/07 12:16 AM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline OP
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline OP
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
WHY!?

-----------------------------------------------------------------

The Killer Strikes Again

October 8, 2007 - John Woo's 1989 action film The Killer will be getting the remake treatment courtesy of Korean-American director John H. Lee, who intends on setting the new version in Los Angeles rather than Hong Kong. The script is currently in the works.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, a Korean actor will be subbing for Chow Yun-Fat, star of the original film. Woo's producing partner Terence Chang revealed at the Asian Film Market that the remake will take place in L.A., specifically in Koreatown, South Central and Chinatown.

"The actor has to be Korean in this version, but also, L.A. is a character in the film," Chang informed THR. "In John's original version, it doesn't really matter where the film is set, except that Hong Kong has this dragon boat festival which adds a bit of local flavor. In this remake, we will use the geography of L.A. to move the story forward."

"I ask myself why they chose me and whether I can top it," said Lee. "But then I realize it's not about making it better. It's about making my own version. My strength is dealing with human emotions, austerity and elegance."

Chang and Woo's Lion Rock Prods. will produce along with Taewon Entertainment.

Source: IGN

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: Irishman12] #442290
10/09/07 07:12 PM
10/09/07 07:12 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline OP
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline OP
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
THE TEXAS CHAIN SAW MASSACRE (1974) 1/2
(Nth Viewing)

The year is 1974. A group of five close friends are heading through the back roads of Texas en route to their grandfather's potentially vandalized grave. Among them are Sally Hardesty, and her invalid brother Franklin. They encounter an unpleasant hitchhiker (Neal) who slashes both himself & Franklin with a wicked-looking knife. The others manage to eject the hitchhiker from the vehicle, but shortly after wards, they are forced to stop & wander over to a small, sinister clapboard house nearby in hopes for gas. What none of them realize is that this house is the home of the ghoulish Leatherface (Hansen) and his evil, demented family of cannibalistic psychopaths. One at a time, the teens are murdered by the evil Leatherface in horrifying ways. Sally soon finds herself an involuntary guest at Leatherface's home, and flees into the night to escape the demented cannibal and his loudly-buzzing chainsaw. Can she escape the grim fate that befell her friends & brother? Based on the terrifying true story of Ed Gein.

Some poor to nonexistent lighting in some parts, which made the characters difficult to see. Also, the editing was a little sloppy in parts which didn't give the film a polished finish in my opinion. However, the film I think was ahead of its time and help setup the foundation of modern horror today with the celebratation of serial killers such as Jason Voorhees, Michael Myers, Freddy Krueger, Leatherface, etc.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: Irishman12] #442325
10/09/07 10:09 PM
10/09/07 10:09 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline OP
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline OP
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE 2 1/2
(First Viewing)

Young DJ Vantia Block is hosting a music show when two renegade hoodlums phone her and start making trouble. The situation changes rapidly as the kids drive to a passageway and get sawed to pieces by Leatherface while the shocked DJ listens the kids' screams. Local sheriff approaches Block and convinces her to play the recording made from the phone call on radio, hoping that the killers would show up.

A horrible way for Tobe Hooper to follow up his classic TEXAS CHAIN SAW MASSACRE. Where to begin? First, they made Leatherface too soft with his crush for the main star, Caroline Williams. Leatherface is a cold blooded killer who would have sliced her without even thinking about it. Secondly, I didn't beleive Caroline Williams as much. She didn't seem to be a good victim. Her acting was rather stale and I believed Marilyn Burns who played Sally Hardesty in the first film more. She made me believe her life was in jeopordy when she was running from Leatherface. Finally, this is just a prime example why the second half of Dennis Hopper's career has been sh*t. Because for every HOOSIERS or SPEED he gives you, he also gives you a film like this.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: Irishman12] #442366
10/10/07 01:18 AM
10/10/07 01:18 AM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline OP
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline OP
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
THE SCORPION KING
(First Viewing)

In an ancient time, predating the pyramids, the evil king Memnon is using the psychic powers of his sorceress Cassandra to fortell his great victories. In a last ditch effort to stop Memnon from taking over the world, the leaders of the remaining free tribes hire the assassin Mathayus to kill the sorceress. But Mathayus ends up getting much more than he bargained for. Now with the help of the trickster Arpid, tribal leader Balthazar and an unexpected ally, it's up to Mathayus to fufill his destiny and become the great Scorpion King.

The Rock really did a good job carrying a film, not a bad debut. He seemed to have more of that charisma he had as a wrestler and he's a believeable action star. However, I felt this movie didn't really expand too much on his "Scorpion King" persona from THE MUMMY RETURNS. This was more a story about Mathayus than him as the Scorpion King. Also, I kept looking for it all movie and I was very disappointed that I didn't get to see one Rock Bottom. Finally, I didn't think Michael Clarke Duncan looked right wielding a sword. His arms are too big and he's better for fistfights, not using weapons.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: Irishman12] #442474
10/10/07 03:22 PM
10/10/07 03:22 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline OP
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline OP
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
THE RUNDOWN 1/2
(First Viewing)

In order to get out of hock with mobster Billy Walker, restaraunteur-turned-"retrieval expert" Beck has to go down to Brazil and retrieve Billy's ne'er-do-well archaeologist-wannabe son Travis, who is searching for an ancient gold idol called the Gato del Diablo. This idol is prized by not only the local population as the path to their salvation, but by Cornelius Hatcher, slavedriving operator of the Helldorado mining town who oppresses said population in the name of profits, and Hatcher just won't let Beck leave with Travis.

The potential, at least for me with this film, was great. It started out well in the beginning with The Rock in the club. Also, the cameo by Arnold Schwarzenegger was a nice touch, kind of a passing the torch on film sort of moment. However, it went downhill when it tried to turn into a NATIONAL TREASURE. The Rock held his own even with Hollywood legend Christopher Walken onscreen. He improved quite a bit from THE SCORPION KING but again, the story just wasn't right. A fine cast with himself, Walken, Seann William Scott and Rosario Dawson. Unfortunately, I think this is The Rock's best and maybe most financial movie to date (unless recently released THE GAME PLAN is his highest grossing film). However, I did get to see my Rock Bottom that I was after! \:D

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: Irishman12] #442479
10/10/07 03:33 PM
10/10/07 03:33 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
I finally saw BLOOD DIAMOND last night, and I have one question:
Warning, Spoiler:
Does Leo DiCaprio ever NOT die?

I really enjoyed it though. I thought Djimon Hounsou was Oscar material.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: pizzaboy] #442631
10/10/07 09:07 PM
10/10/07 09:07 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline OP
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline OP
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
WALKING TALL (2004) 1/2
(First Viewing)

When a former member of the U.S. Army Special Forces returns to his small hometown in rural Washington State hoping to realise a childhood dream of working in the local lumber mill, he discovers that much has changed, as the normally tranquil town is now besieged by drugs, outbreaks of violence and a general feeling of malaise and terror, with many pointing a finger at the influence of a crooked casino where his ex-girlfriend now works as a dancer. Seeking to wreak vengeance, with a four-foot-long 4-by-4 in his hand, and righteousness in his heart, the highly-trained soldier, now the county's sheriff, and his deputy, realizes it's time to bust some heads with a very hard piece of wood.

Probably the most enjoyable Rock film I've seen yet. He came and laid the smackdown with his 4-by-4 which was a nice change for him to use a modern day weapon other than a gun. A good kind of feel good movie that I'm surprised was enjoyable.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: Irishman12] #442661
10/11/07 12:24 AM
10/11/07 12:24 AM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline OP
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline OP
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
KNOCKED UP
(Second Viewing)

Slobby Ben and up and coming career girl Alison meet at a bar, and end up having a one night stand. Eight weeks later, Ben is shocked when Alison meets him and reveals that she is pregnant. Despite having little in common, the two decide that they have to at least try to make some kind of relationship work for the baby's sake.

Again, I think it's great to see Seth Rogen starring in his own film. Him and Jonah Hill are two are my favorite up and coming comedian actors. The whole group of guys, Rogen, Hill, Jason Segel, Jay Baruchel, and Martin Starr all really worked well together and seemed to feed off of each other (whether everyone was ganging up on Martin Starr for his extreme facial hair or Jonah ripping on Jay). Katherine Heigl expands on her previous comedy outing, THE RINGER and it was great to see Paul Rudd and Leslie Mann return to a Judd Apatow project.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: Irishman12] #442698
10/11/07 07:03 AM
10/11/07 07:03 AM
Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yogi Barrabbas Offline
Yogi Barrabbas  Offline

Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
FOUR BROTHERS

Finally watched this last night.I enjoyed it. It offered nothing new apart from the brother twist (2 white & 2 black) but it had good action,funny bits and Mark Wahlberg who i think is a top actor. Also i like John Singleton as a director!
I would rate this as a 6 out of 10.

I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees!
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: Yogi Barrabbas] #442703
10/11/07 07:17 AM
10/11/07 07:17 AM
DE NIRO Offline
DE NIRO  Offline

I agree good film.Is this the film where they take revenge on his Mums killers.

The Mafia Is Not Primarily An Organisation Of Murderers.
First And Foremost,The Mafia Is Made Up Of Thieves.
It Is Driven By Greed And Controlled By Fear.

Between The Law And The Mafia, The Law Is Not The Most To Be Feared

"What if the Mafia were not an organization but a widespread Sicilian attitude of hostility towards the law?"

"Make Love Not War" John Lennon
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: DE NIRO] #442704
10/11/07 07:22 AM
10/11/07 07:22 AM
Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
Yogi Barrabbas Offline
Yogi Barrabbas  Offline

Newcastle-upon-Tyne UK
It is mate!
Was on Sky last night!

I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees!
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: Yogi Barrabbas] #442708
10/11/07 07:33 AM
10/11/07 07:33 AM
DE NIRO Offline
DE NIRO  Offline

I watched this last year sometime and remember enjoying it.

The Mafia Is Not Primarily An Organisation Of Murderers.
First And Foremost,The Mafia Is Made Up Of Thieves.
It Is Driven By Greed And Controlled By Fear.

Between The Law And The Mafia, The Law Is Not The Most To Be Feared

"What if the Mafia were not an organization but a widespread Sicilian attitude of hostility towards the law?"

"Make Love Not War" John Lennon
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: DE NIRO] #442794
10/11/07 12:53 PM
10/11/07 12:53 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline OP
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline OP
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
Yes, FOUR BROTHERS was a good film and I own the DVD

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: Irishman12] #442841
10/11/07 03:57 PM
10/11/07 03:57 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline OP
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline OP
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
A BETTER TOMORROW
(Third Viewing)

This John Woo film tells the tale of Mark and Ho, friends and couriers for a Hong Kong crime syndicate with a large counterfeiting operation. Ho is double-crossed during a set-up and turns himself in to the police and Mark is shot during the firefight of a retribution hit. The plot is complicated by the fact that Ho's younger brother, Kit, is a rookie cop whose reputation is tarnished by his gangster brother. When Ho gets out of prison, he wants to start a new life, free of crime. Unfortunately, he is haunted by his past, with the crime bosses leaning on him and Mark encouraging him to return to a life of crime as his partner. In typical Woo fashion, the various factions clash and our protagonists engage both the police and the gangsters in a bloody bullet-fest.

I think this is only the second John Woo film that I've seen where the pressence of doves were absent (BROKEN ARROW was the other). This film put both John Woo and Chow Yun-Fat on the map and their best work was still to come (see HARD BOILED or THE KILLER). I loved John Woo's use of music with this film, a classical soundtrack which I throughly enjoyed. As I've stated before, John Woo is my favorite action director and if you've never seen this film, A BETTER TOMORROW II, HARD BOILED or THE KILLER, do yourself the favor and rent them!

Page 268 of 319 1 2 266 267 268 269 270 318 319

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull