X, I understand your point. But I keep hearing about how smokers have burdened the health care system, and obviously obesity does, too, and in ever-increasing numbers. Yet, it would be rude to say something to an obese person about losing weight, but perfectly fine to go up to a complete stranger that is smoking and harangue them.

I agree with you about second-hand smoke, and anyone who doesn't recognize it is just an idiot. I will not smoke in the car or around my children, and I never have. I don't understand people who do. There's nothing more disgusting than picking up a little child and they smell like cigarettes.

I was having a cigarette outside a few weeks ago and this old man came up to me. He said, Maybe this isn't my business, but please stop smoking. It's so bad for you, yadda, yadda, yadda, and he starts giving me the whole speech.

Inwardly, I was fuming, because I am so sick of people who feel compelled to speak to total strangers about it. I was polite to the man, because he really wasn't being a pain in the ass, and he was polite and not obnoxious, like some people.

And then tears started to roll down his cheeks, and he told me that he lost his wife to cancer and he wished he had insisted that she quit smoking. I was glad that I hadn't snapped at him, and I thanked him for his concern and told him I would really think about it. With DC and TIS as my inspiration and my SA (Smoker's Anonymous?? lol) support group, I am getting closer and closer to taking the step.

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club