Originally Posted By: Turnbull
 Originally Posted By: olivant
There are any number of conflicts within the criminal underworld. If they were all resolved by violence, there would not be any criminal underworld. Most are resolved through negotiation. Tom was made for negotiation. However, his murder credentials are quite in evidence. He was in on everything that Vito that resulted in harm to people and Vito harmed alot of people.

That's very true. And, much as we like to think of regular wars between families (as in Clemenza telling Michael, "Ah, dat's all right, dese t'ings hafta happen every ten years or so--lets out the bad blood"), families would much rather negotiate than fight. Wars are expensive, interfere with business, are dangerous, and enhance the omnipresent opportunities for treachery. Most of the wars we read about in real life are within families, over leadership and territories.

How true.

As Sollozzo so eloquently puts it, "I don't like violence, Tom. I'm a businessman. Blood is a big expense."

That said, a Don who would NEVER sanction violence would not be a very good Don. However, I'm not convinced that Tom would be unwilling to use violence if negotiations failed.

"A man in my position cannot afford to be made to look ridiculous!"