That's never really been my thing, though. While I do like films that are visually impressive, his films are visually impressive for reasons which don't interest me at all. I'm not really a special effects guy, although I have been known to be impressed by them at times. But, really, I think that his camera placement and use is... Well, kind of bland. Not as great as people claim it to be. The whole CGI thing isn't really for me, either. I don't know.

But, the other things you've mentioned don't really grab me either. It's for this reason that I've enjoyed very few action films, and have never been a "summer-movie" kind of guy.

I feel like I'm over-simplifying what you've said, or even the reaction you may have been expecting, but those are just the thoughts that come to mind when reviewing Spielberg's aesthetic appeal.

And isn't it fucked up that Firefox's automatic spell check recognizes "Spielberg" as grammatically correct?

"Somebody told me when the bomb hits, everybody in a two mile radius will be instantly sublimated, but if you lay face down on the ground for some time, avoiding the residual ripples of heat, you might survive, permanently fucked up and twisted like you're always underwater refracted. But if you do go gas, there's nothing you can do if the air that was once you is mingled and mashed with the kicked up molecules of the enemy's former body. Big-kid-tested, motherf--ker approved."