Originally Posted By: Don Cardi
 Originally Posted By: Turnbull

If Cicci had implicated Tom, Michael would have gotten a certified pass: Tom was the bad guy, not him.

Quite possible Turnbull.

However, if that be the case, than WHY would the committee put Hagen's picture up on the "family" tree board and list him as a consigliere? Was it done to try and tarnish Michael's character that much more? Make it appear that Michael Corleone's lawyer was not one to be believed or trusted because he was really nothing more than a common mafia hood himself?

My point is if they were willing to put a picture of Michael's lawyer up on the mafia family tree board, than why not go the extra mile and try to destroy both Michael and Hagen's credibility at the same time by having Cicci give testimony about Hagen?

They could have destroy Michael's chances of having Hagen represent him just in case the hearing produced enough evidence to go to trial. Sort of in the same manner as the government did with Gotti and Cutler.

These NON actions by the committee towards Hagen with nothing being said by Cicci about Hagen, plus Cicci's testimony in general (which really helped Michael), and the fact that Michael did NOT seek revenge on Cicci is what now makes me believe that Cicci really did not turn rat and make a deal with the government.

Of course, this is a Senate hearing and not a criminal prosecution. The committee is trying to garner information that may or may not support a criminal prosecution. But it's main purpose was to corroborate in public the private testimony they had received or information made available to them by the FBI.

Michael is the main target because the Committee's information is that Michael is a Don. Remember, this is pre-RICO days and trying to pin something on Tom would be a stretch. being a Consigigliere is not in itself a crime (pre-RICO). Whether it's for show or something more substantive, the Committee's target is Michael. That's why I say that his reading or rendering a statement was legally inadvisable but makes for good theater.

Cicci could only corroborate Frankie's or, if he was alive, Clemenza's testimony. Cicci's testimony, with proper corroboration, could have jeopardized Frankie's or Clemenza's legal standing since he took orders from both of them. I'm not sure at all that Cicci ever got an order from Tom. In the novel it states that Mike instructed Clemenza personally about the disposal of Tessio et al. So, although Tom appeared in the film to be enmeshed in Tessio's murder, he probably did not witness any specific instructions. It was Clememza who instructed Cicci. So, Tom was, to a large extent off the hook.

Of course, having your picture pinned up there on the board as a member of a MAFIA family's hierarchy says alot about you.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."