Originally Posted By: dontomasso
 Originally Posted By: Don Cardi
 Originally Posted By: dontomasso
I'll take Peter Luger's over Sparks for steak.

For History the Grand Central Station Oyster Bar, and P.J. Clarke's (the orginal on 3rd Ave).

In theatre district I like Joe Allen's. The place where they have posters of all the plays that bombed on Broadway. Best tuna burgers anywhere.

Don T, you disappoint me. I think your brain's gone soft from all those Tuna Burgers. I thought for sure that once I posted about these historic steak houses, you would definitely post about that fantastic STEAKHOUSE IN TAMPA, FL. with the huge personal wine collection and the private dessert rooms. ;\)

As you can see I spoil my friends. They talk when they should listen. Anyway, Berns is an overrated place where locals only go when people from out of town come and demand to go. It is too big, too impersonal, too garish, and to impressed with itself notwithstanding good steaks and an incredible wine list.
Anyway my vote for Lugers is final and as long as your interests dont conflict with mine I wish you good luck.

I love Luger's steaks. There is no question that they are the cream of the crop when it comes to cuts of meat. But, I hate Luger's waiters and Luger's atmosphere. The waiters are a bunch of old crabby bastards without any personality whatsoever. Truthfully Luger's is very full of itself and has a lot of attitude. A very impersonal staff all around . Not to mention the fact that if you don't pay off the valet to take care of your car, when your done with dinner you most likely will come out to either find your car stripped down to the frame or gone, period.

Berns absolutely is a garish place. A gaudy place no doubt. However I cannot say that I found it to be impersonal. In fact I found that they went out of their way to make our group feel welcomed and at home. The steaks were outstanding, the wine list is impressive and the private dessert rooms are incredible as are their desserts.

Again, for my money, Sparks wins hands down for all around service, class, and good food.

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.