Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
Anyone ever eat at Tavern On The Green? I've always wanted to go there, mostly because it looks so pretty, in the middle of Central Park. However, I've heard some awful things about the food. Not sure if I want to bother.

One of my favorite spots in NYC is still The Rainbow Grill. I ate at The Rainbow Room many, many years ago, but refuse to spring for the $150 pp. they want for dinner now, especially after reading Kitchen Confidential. However, I love to have drinks at The Rainbow Grill. Hands down, it has one of the best views of Manhattan.

The food at Tavern on the Green is OK, but just OK... you go there more for the ambience and location. Its one of the best places to eat around Christmas when all the trees outside of it are lighted... VERY pretty!

I used to LOVE the Rainbow Room.... it was my kind of place, especially on nights they had the big bands there. The service was always top-notch and the food was certainly decent.

A really nice place for drinks on the eastside is Top of the Tower (at 49th Street and 1st Avenue)... I THINK they're still open and they have a dark room with awesome views of the East River and a piano player... its been years since I've been there but its worth a look.