Fraunces Tavern is definitely a must-see if you are interested in Colonial America or the Revolutionary War.

However, the current building is actually a reconstruction. The original building burned down, many years ago (I believe in the 1800's). I think only one original wall was left still standing. But, using engravings, contemporary accounts, etc., the tavern was magnificently reconstructed. There is a museum occupying the upstairs, and the are many actual period items and artifacts that can be seen as part of their rotating exhibitions.

Another worthy place is City Tavern in Philadelphia. This is (I believe) the original building, and was quite popular in the days of our Founding Fathers. The menu features many period-influenced dishes, and there is also a cookbook available (The City Tavern Cookbook).

Colonial Williamsburg has Chowning's Tavern and Christiana Campbell's. I have only eaten at the former - a bit touristy (naturally), but interesting nonetheless.

Signor V.

"For me, there's only my wife..."

"Sure I cook with wine - sometimes I even add it to the food!"

"When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies?"

"It was a grass harp... And we listened."

"Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it? Every, every minute?"

"No. Saints and poets, maybe... they do some."