Originally Posted By: JRCX
Diners in NJ are a dying breed, sure there are tons of them but they are not the "real" stainless dining cars that were pre-fabricated and dropped off, now they are all fancy and lost that old feel... there are a few left, and the BENDIX diner in Hasbrouck Heights NJ, is, unfortunately a dump -- if you can't even make eggs, then you are in trouble... Appearance, Cleanliness, and Food, all = "D" in my opinion... The White Circle Hamburger place/diner on Bloomfield Ave in Bloomfield closed, so they are disappearing quickly... any notable places in your area(s)?

How Ironic that you bring this up.

A few weeks ago they actually moved one of the last "stainless steel" diners that were left, to another location, here on Staten Island.

Staten Island Diner Moved From Long-Time Home
Posted by Staten Island Advance August 14, 2007 8:34AM

All the orders at the Victory Diner in Staten Island this morning were to go.

After more than a week of preparations, the landmark restaurant was finally jacked up from its long-time home in Dongan Hills before dawn and driven on a slow 12 mph journey through Staten Island streets to its place in history.

The first stop is a temporary storage area behind the Midland Beach promenade, where it came to rest just as the sun came up.

A group of about 25 awed spectators -- including former owner and cook Maria Pappas, Parks Department officials and dedicated patrons -- gathered at Richmond Road and Seaver Avenue to watch as the 1940s diner began winding its way down Seaver, North Railroad and Midland avenues to Father Capodanno Boulevard.

"Oh my diner, oh my diner," wailed Mrs. Pappas as she sprinkled what she calls her second home with holy water. "She's beautiful, she shines. She shines more today than any other time."

Many followed in a convoy until it arrived behind the women's comfort station 5:15 a.m.

The 1.8-mile, 45-minute ride was right on schedule; in fact it would have been 10 minutes early if Parks officials didn't have to locate the owner of an illegally parked car on Midland Avenue, which hindered the wide load from getting through.

Though an opening day has not been decided, the classic chrome-and-neon restaurant will now serve hungry Staten Islanders on the Ocean Breeze waterfront near a future kiddie park proposed by Borough President James Molinaro.

"Maybe she likes the beach more, maybe she likes the water more," Mrs. Pappas said. "I know she's going to bring good luck."

People from across the Island and as far away as Long Island got up to wish the Victory a pleasant journey.

"You take the diner, we've gotta go with it," mused Danny Quinn, a former Bay Terrace resident who now lives in Lindenhurst, L.I. The passenger in a Mustang convertible, Quinn videotaped the entire journey. "I'm glad it's going to be put to good use. Not many diners get three chances at life."

Before moving to Dongan Hills, the Victory Diner moved once before, in 1964, from Victory Boulevard in Castleton Corners. The diner had been faced with an uncertain future with either demolition or sale on the horizon.

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.