Originally Posted By: Lavinia from Italy
 Quote:
Originally posted by Debra:
So anyone here from Italy?
here I am!!!! 100% Italian and 200% pizzaholic!!!! \:\)

Quote:
Originally posted by Debra:so tell me where should I go to eat the best Pizza?
well, I think if you you want to eat a very tasty pizza you have to come to Rome. The secret is the calciferous water, the luxury quality of tomatos and mozzarella. Avoid Pizza Huts and stuff like that. Go to small pizzerias and make sure they have a wooden oven. I'd suggest a Margherita, to begin with.

For pizza history, take a look here:
http://id.essortment.com/historyofpizza_rmgf.htm

It is true that here in Italy the traditional pizza is being defined by strict standards.

"According to the Italian Ministry of Agriculture, only pizzas made in the method defined below are real Neapolitan pizza. There are three types according to the Neapolitan pizza law and they are:

Marinara, with garlic and oregano.
Margherita, with basil and mozzarella cheese that must be from the southern Apennines.
Extra-Margherita, with fresh tomatoes, basil and buffalo mozzarella from the region of Campania.
The pizza must be round, not more than 13.75 inches in diameter, and made with hand-kneaded dough. The maximum crust thickness should be .75 inches and the center must be less than a tenth of an inch. If such criteria are met, the pizza will get labeled “S.T.G.” guaranteeing it is a traditional specialty"

(http://www.pmq.com/mag/2004september_october/chefbruno.php)

BUON APPETITO!!!! \:\)

My mother came close to making it that way. She made her own dough. She used rectangular pans though. She crushed fresh tomato and olive oil, but the mozzarella was store bought. I'm not sure what brand or type it was. She seasoned with fresh garlic and oregano. Oregano is the only seasoning one should use on pizza. She never added any toppings. It was out of this world and I judge everything I eat by her pizza. It's a shame that most Americans never get to taste real pizza

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."