SC, your receipe is very similar to mine. However, I use tomato paste.

FWIW, I always use fresh garlic. There is nothing like the smell of the garlic & onion as you brown them off. \:\)

Now, my mother would use fresh tomatoes, and her own homegrown basil and make her own bread crumbs. I buy the jar basil seasoning, use tomato paste, and Italian seasoned bread crumbs (but add a little garlic, basil to them.)

And yes, do drain the meat after you brown it off. When I was young and new at cooking I didn't know to do that. You can imagine, I was disappointed in how greasy the sauce (or sugo as we call it) was. Also, one time, again as a newlywed and new at cooking, I invited another couple over for dinner. But....stupid me, only made a lb of pasta, meat, etc. It wasn't enough. I should have know better. But, that's how you learn. It didn't happen again. In my family, not having enough food is a disaster.

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon