THE CRYING GAME
(First Viewing)

An unlikely kind of friendship develops between Fergus, an Irish Republican Army volunteer, and Jody, a kidnapped British soldier lured into an IRA trap by Jude, another IRA member. When the hostage-taking ends up going horribly wrong, Fergus escapes and heads to London, where he seeks out Jody's lover, a hairdresser named Dil. Fergus adopts the name "Jimmy" and gets a job as a day laborer. He also starts seeing Dil, who knows nothing about Fergus' IRA background. But there are some things about Dil that Fergus doesn't know, either...

I will certainly take my hat off to Jaye Davidson. He gave the best female performance by a male I've ever seen. Granted the only ones coming to mind right now are Robin Williams as Euphegenia Doubtfire in MRS. DOUBTFIRE and Dustin Hoffman as Dorothy Michaels in TOOTSIE, but he still did a great job. Although I saw it coming because that was the only fact I knew about the movie going into it but it was pretty obvious as well. The first time I saw his hands onscreen I could just tell. Also, for those who have seen it, did you ever think Jody and Dil were brothers rather than lovers? In the beginning of the film we're lead to believe (or at least I was), these characters were lovers. But towards the end of the film, I saw a closeness that rather than sexual in nation was a brotherly relationship. Anyone else see that?