Originally Posted By: olivant
In many ways, people tend to be smarter when they are younger despite the knowlege they accumulate as they grow older. That is because their minds are, physiologically, more active. As we get older, there are issues of blood flow to the brain, and nervous system deterioration. Our reactions slow down, our cognition is not as good, even our speech slows down. So, like us all, in his younger days, Frankie was more on top of things so he was able to come up with suggestions about the organizaion of the crime families, etc. Memory does not necessarily have to fade as one gets older, so Frankie is going to remember a heck of alot of what he had previously learned, read, etc.

His drinking from a hose, etc. was a function of his upbringing in the milieu of cultures that is NY: informaility, if you will. His NY domain required that he be phyisically aggressive, not necessarily wise. That domain also subsumed various threats, even to family members. When backed into a corner, Michael threatened Frankie's brother. Now, such a threat is not that difficult to perceive. He's not a buffoon; he's sinply a product of his culture and experience which, sometimes, sharply contrasts with others' cultures and experiences.

I thought that perhaps Michael brought Frankie's brother in to threaten him at first, but then after reading The Godfather and The Sicilian novels I thought maybe Michael brought Frankie's brother in to shame him into not testifying against Michael and breaking Omerta. Recall the look between the two brothers at the hearing. To me, Frankie's brother looks absolutely shocked at what Frankie is about to do. Remember how old school Sicilian Frankie's brother is and in The Sicilian, they say that breaking Omerta "the code of silence" which includes ratting out other mafia guys, is something you absolutely do not do. Supposedly, your own family would have to help hunt you down for breaking Omerta.