Originally Posted By: ronnierocketAGO

Originally Posted By: Don Cardi

I love the 1951 version of "The Thing from another world"

James Arness has such a presence the few times that he is on screen in that movie. I think that his not overdoing it and not appearing too much throughout the movie is what makes it such a thriller.

As you mentioned, the score rocks and it adds such great anticipation, the building up of fear, everytime The Thing is about to enter the scene.

I can remember being a kid and watching this movie for the first time, late at night with my father, and loving it.

John Carpenter shot a BETTER version of the same story in his 1982 remake.

I would also add David Cronenberg's THE FLY remake, light years better than the Vincent Price film.

That's your opinion Ronnie, and you are certainly entitled ot it. While I don't deny that Carpenter's version had much better special effects and as SC said, remained more true to the story that it is based on, there is just something about the original that does it for me. The original, unlike the newer version, leaves a lot more to the imagination even though there is a physical Alien in the 1951 version vs. a germ in the newer version. Just something about the whole build up and anticipation when the Thing is about to make an appearance. But I do happen to also like the newer version.

As for the remake of The Fly, well again, you are certainly entitled to your opinion. But I don't think that the newer version of The Fly is "light years" ahead of the Vincent Price version.

While I will watch and enjoy BOTH versions of The Thing, I totally enjoy the original version of The Fly and feel that the newer version lacked the intensity and suspense that the older version had. The older version depended on that suspense and anticipation where all the newer version depended on was makeup and special effects.

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.