Originally Posted By: SC
Another fun "monster movie" of the period was "Gorgo".

I have mixed feelings about Gorgo. When I was little, it turned up a lot on "Million Dollar Move" on Channel 9 in NYC. I saw it several times. Then, around ten years ago, I caught it on cable and was surprised at how much of the film (close to 40%, I'd say) was made up of stock footage. When you're a kid these things don't register, but as an adult it was impossible to ignore. Still, I probably wouldn't mind seeing it again.

Decided to watch House of Dracula last night. For some reason ol' Larry Talbot has a moustache in this one. So, how come when he transforms into the Wolf Man it mysteriously disappears even though hair is now growing on every other part of him? But I really shouldn't look too hard for continuity in this film: Both Dracula and the Wolf Man turn up out of the blue (and seeking medical cures for their conditions) after being killed off in the previous film (House of Frankenstein). But the film is enjoyable, nevertheless. And Chaney even gets the girl!

This Island Earth (1955) is one of my favorites from the '50s. It doesn't seem to get much mention anymore, with a lot of attention going to The Thing and The Day the Earth Stood Still. Don't get me wrong, those films are classics - but I think This Island Earth has been unjustly neglected lately.

The Tingler (1959): Anything with Vincent Price is worth watching. If you can get over the silly-looking monster (I'm sure Iron Chef Morimoto could have made ten different sushi dishes out of it), it's great fun. Really needs to be seen in a theatre for the best effect, though. ("Scream! Scream for your lives!") And, how about the scene where Price drops acid? ("The waaaallllllls!!") Definitely a little gem.

Signor V.

"For me, there's only my wife..."

"Sure I cook with wine - sometimes I even add it to the food!"

"When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies?"

"It was a grass harp... And we listened."

"Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it? Every, every minute?"

"No. Saints and poets, maybe... they do some."