A few random thoughts on one of my favorite subjects:

The Fly (1958): Though some folks think it's tame by today's standards (and when compared to the nauseatingly graphic remake with Jeff Goldblum - who looks like a fly without makeup), this one still scared the crap out of me when I first saw it on TV nearly forty years ago. There is one amusing story I remember reading: Newspaper ads announcing the film's premiere had to be hastily changed when people opened their local tabloids and saw ads like "The Fly Opens Thursday!" or something similar. Seems that back in 1958, nobody's fly opened for any reason - especially not in a newspaper!

White Zombie (1932): Very low budget, but a gem, nevertheless. Memorable Lugosi line: "For you, my friend, they are the Angels of Death!"

Doctor X (1932): Two-color Technicolor. Lionel Atwill. Fay Wray. "Synthetic Flesh!" Need I say more?

Dark Intruder (1965): An odd one - it used to turn up all the time on late-night TV in the late '60s and early '70s, but it hasn't been shown is years, and it's impossible to find on VHS or DVD (it's one of the few I don't have). It dealt with a series of murders in 1890s San Francisco that may or may not have a supernatural connection. Running less than an hour, it was an unsold television pilot that ended up being released to theatres instead. Starring Leslie Nielsen, it features Werner (Colonel Klink) Klemperer totally unrecognizable under a wonderfully horrific makeup. I wish they'd show this one again!

Curse of Dracula (1958): AKA The Return of Dracula, another low-budget film that was (IMO) quite effective - especially the ending! Francis Lederer wasn't bad at all in the title role. "It is only this casing, this clumsy flesh that stands between us. Eternity awaits you now!"

I'll probably write more later.

Time to feed.

Signor V.

"For me, there's only my wife..."

"Sure I cook with wine - sometimes I even add it to the food!"

"When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies?"

"It was a grass harp... And we listened."

"Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it? Every, every minute?"

"No. Saints and poets, maybe... they do some."