Originally Posted By: SC
Dunno if you'd include some of the more sci-fi movies in this genre but the 1950's had a bunch of them. Among the better ones:

"The Thing" (1951) - its fast paced dialogue (possibly the best in any sci-fi/monster flick), fine acting and awesome score (by Dmitri Tiomkin) absolutely rock! It always makes me shiver.

"The Day the Earth Stood Still" (1951) - an absolutely awesome "message film" showcasing absolute power (that power given to the robot). An anti-war flick way ahead of its time.

"Them" (1954) - giant mutant ants take over the tunnels of L.A. in this well acted and well told thriller. The early buildup of the story is chilling.

"The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms" (1953) - a much better than average monster flick. Ends up in New York's Coney Island and look for Lee Van Cleef in an early role (as the Army sharpshooter).

"Godzilla" (1954) - the Americanized version, starring Raymond Burr, is OK, but the full Japanese original ("Gojira") is better. Made only nine years after Japan was subjected to atomic warfare this anti-nuclear flick is damned good.

"The Invasion of the Body Snatchers" (1956) - a pure thriller about paranoia. A wonderful ending!!

Most definitely would include these kinds of Sci-fi movies. (I edited the title, good point SC).

And all those that you mentioned in your post are true classics. However I must add one more to your list.

The Fly.

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.