Originally Posted By: The Italian Stallionette
I too have heard former smokers, who haven't smoked in years say that they still get cravings. \:\/

It's strange that when I was young, I would go clubbing and drinking darn near every night, yet never was addicted to alcohol. I got to a certain point and simply stopped going out all the time and never craved a drink, but rather would drink to party I guess. Yet, smoking is another story, at least for me.

TIS

I think it's due to the nature of how the addiction effects the body. Nicotine attacks (in part) the central nervous system, which has far different biological reactions than alcohol, which runs through the bloodstream and cuts off oxygen to the brain. Those who have ever had a hangover know that the body feels bad afterward because the fresh oxygen and blood cells are working properly again, causing the headache and body pain (also influenced by the dehydration alcohol causes). Usually the 2nd day after heavy drinking the body is nearly, if not fully, recovered.

Cigarette smoke stays in the body much longer. I remember reading that it takes years for the body to completely rid itself of the toxins and residual effects of nicotine. So I can completely understand why someone can go back to it after a lengthy time away from smoking.