Congrats, TIS and DC! Keep it up! It's hard--nicotine is among the most addictive substances on earth--but lesser people than you (meaning: me) have done it. I'll tell you my story, even though it's not exactly flattering:
I smoked a pipe--three bowls of tobacco a day. Doesn't sound like much, until you realize that the bowls were pretty big, and I was inhaling. I thought I had it "under control," and some days, I didn't finish all three bowls.
Then I decided to cut back to 1 1/2 bowls per day. That's when I discovered how addicted I was. I'd run out of conference rooms every 10 minutes to take one drag on my pipe...I'd lean out windows in nonsmoking areas...it was awful.
One day, in the middle of a conference, I got up "to go to the bathroom." I went outside the door, and lit up. BLA-A-A-A-P! I'd triggered a smoke alarm in the corridor! Immediately, 4,000 company employees emptied out of three buildings and milled about outside, until it was "safe" to go back inside. Our corporate productivity took a nosedive that day! I shoved the hot pipe into my pants pocket and hopped around, trying not to look conspicuous. When we returned to the conference rooms, two building mechanics were inspecting the smoke detector--"Yeah, looks like someone smoked a cigarette under this one..." (To paraphrase Brando in "Waterfront": "It was you, Turnbull! I nearly died of guilt.) After that, I knew I was an addict.
I waited for the "Great American Smokeout" that November, and quit cold turkey. Moral of story: I had to be ready to quit, but that false alarm did it for me.

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.