Thanks everyone for your encouragement and replies. I smoke (smoked) about a pack a day. I get paid once a month and would buy three cartons (30 packs) of cigs for the month. The last cartons I purchased was May 30th. It was into June when I seemed to have a hard time ctaching my breath that I seriously considered quitting. Of course in CA this is a very smoggy time of year and that I'm sure was part of it. \:\/ So roughly 2nd week or so in June is when I started to try.

Keep in mind that everyone is different, some people smoke way more and some way less and frame of mind and "readiness" play a huge part in a decision like this. I by no means will say I've quit and from what I hear it "can" be a lifelong craving. I'm not at an "I did it" place at all.

I started first, by cutting down the number of smokes in a day. Instead of smoking 4 cigs on my way to work (I have an hour drive), I made it 2 and same on the way back with 2 during lunch and 4 to 5 in the evening. You think I was goiing nuts on the drives? I had a certain landmark I'd pass that more or less gave me permission to light that first or second cigaret. I immediately noticed how difficult it would be. Yet, that cutting it in half right there, even if it sounds like more.

After about a week I would light up a cigaret and not inhale it. I know I know. Anyone who smokes knows it's the inhaling that is the refreshing part. That was the hardest part. It simply wasn't satisfying. For a couple days, I'd take one or two drags from the cigaret but that's it. Then I'd put it out. I guess I did that for about a week or maybe less. Finally I simply lit a cigaret and didn't smoke it. I know, again sounds weird. I'd let it burn down yet and it's tempting. Don't know if it's the surrounding smoke or what that I need as a crutch or not. In Vegas, I did that one time. I had a margarita in my hand was by myself at the time and I walked down the street lit a smoke and simply let it burn out. Never did take a drag.

It's been about two months now and it's probably been about 1 week since I let a cigaret burn out. However, on May 30th I purchased 3 cartons of Salem lites and I have a carton and a half (actually seven packs in the second carton) left. I know I'm making progess.

Sorry for being so lengthy. I'll call it good therapy just to write about it.

Thanks

TIS

"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind. War will exist until that distant day when the conscientious objector enjoys the same reputation and prestige that the warrior does today." JFK

"War is over, if you want it" - John Lennon