Originally Posted By: Sicilian Babe
LW, First of all, Happy Birthday!!! Hope you have many, many more.

As for Michael and Kay, I believe that Michael (an the novel may go into more detail) felt that the assassination attempt on his father brought the Family into the media spotlight, such as it was then. I think in the novel, he even tells Kay that there might be reporters at the hospital when she wants to visit Vito.

I believe Michael was afraid that Kay would be dragged into the 1940's equivalent of a media frenzy, and he didn't want that to happen. At the wedding, she obviously didn't have a full grasp of what his family (and Family) was truly about, and I don't think he wanted her to really find out.

Thanks for the birthday wishes, SB. The internet's amazing: Thanks to this board and a couple of other sites, I've been getting more birthday wishes from people I barely know than actual family/friends.

As to the Michael/Kay interaction, compare that scene to the previous Michael/Kay scenes (esp. the deleted scene in the hotel room), Michael's demeanor toward her has totally changed. It's much closer to the GFII Michael than the early GFI Michael.

I don't think that change can be explained by Michael simply worrying about Kay and her family being tracked down by the paparazzi.

I think he has already begun the transformation into the monster he would become, and he is beginning to realign the priorities in his life.

"A man in my position cannot afford to be made to look ridiculous!"