Originally Posted By: afsaneh77
Thanks SC, Gina, TIS and Beth. You are all too kind. \:\)

Originally Posted By: Turnbull
 Originally Posted By: afsaneh77
I was born 20 days before the spring of 1977. Here is my first New Year photo with my mom. (We celebrate the beginning of spring)

Wonderful pictures, afs. Could you explain the items that are included in that top picure? I'm sure they have some cultural significance that we'd be interested in.

Thanks Turnbull! \:\)

Yes, these belong to Haft-seen (7 S's) table. We put seven items that begin with letter "s" in Persian on a tablecloth and right at the moment of beginning of spring that even can be in odd hours of the morning sit around it to observe our New Year. The items are primarily wheat sprouts (sabzeh), apples (seeb), vinegar (serkeh), sumac, garlic (seer), senjid (silverberry, of oleaster tree perhaps), samanu (a dish) or coins (sekkeh).

We also put candles, mirror, colored eggs and gold fishes on this tablecloth as well. These items symbolize health, love, affluence, patience, cleanness, rebirth and fertility which everyone invites to their lives once again with coming of each New Days (Nowruz).

Thanks, afs! Very interesting! Another value of this thread is the cultural insights we get from people all around the world. \:\)

Ntra la porta tua lu sangu � sparsu,
E nun me mporta si ce muoru accisu...
E s'iddu muoru e vaju mparadisu
Si nun ce truovo a ttia, mancu ce trasu.