Originally Posted By: Signor Vitelli
The Godfather covered - in the novel and the first two films - more than just 1946. Therefore, I think it would be only fitting to broaden our horizons to include photos from the earlier part of the twentieth century. The whole "coming to America" experience was such an important part of the novel and GF2.

OK... I'll go back further (to include Vito's birth).

From 1889, my great grandparents about a year after they arrived from "the old country". (They arrived separately through Ellis Island in the end of 1887 and moved up to Kingston, New York just before the Great Blizzard of 1888 - the snow drifts were 25 feet high). They married in 1890 and their first child (of eleven) followed in 1891 (my grandmother). (She was born some two weeks after Don Vito would have been born - December 21, 1891).

Great grandma died in 1941 shortly before my sister was born; my sister is named after her; great grandpa died three years later. My mom speaks of her grandparents often - she says her grandmother was the warmest soul she ever met.

That whole second generation is gone now... all dead. My mom (the third generation) is their oldest living relative now.