Originally Posted By: olivant
Well, LLC, I detect that you believe that movies are supposed to have a predetermined effect upon people. There are plenty of true fight stories out there that do have a positive ending and are an inspiration for many. George Foreman comes to mind. Since when is inspiration sappy. On the other hand, what is sappy about MDB. It ends with the death of a quite a boxing talent and the struggle of one human being to perpetrate and accept the responsibility for a death.

Inspiration isn't necessarily sappy, it's the way sports films tend to present it. It's like, Rocky... What's to be inspired about by watching a midget on steroids beat a couple of communists to shit? Well, there is the whole notion of presevering and reaching your goals, but I think it's far too straight forward and precise, so much that at some point it all becomes extremely stereotypical and irrelevant to the audience, that I can't help but laugh at the cookie-cutter ideals the film makers are attempting to present.

Inspiration comes in strange forms. I don't need to watch some Silverster Stallone work his way around a speech impediment for two hours to feel inspired. I can so easily stumble upon a film like Taxi Driver and feel inspired in so many of the realms of creation and expression that I often venture into... Be it writing, music, film, animation, paintings and sketchings, what have you; to be able to create something half as beautiful is a task. I don't see anything beautiful about Rocky, at least not enough, and thus I can't feel inspired in anyway, not even in athletics. Rocky doesn't inspire me to go mountain biking, it didn't inspire me to play better soccer back when I was on a team, and it doesn't inspire me artistically either. It totally and completely fails to maintain relevancy for me.

Million Dollar Baby is probably even sappier than Rocky. It's full of recycled emotions and jumbled scenes. That film is completely about inspiration and preserverence as they show the protagonist's persistence. It's a good try, but it just didn't work. Beyond that, I thought the film was horribly paced and just sort of dragged on. The last 20 minutes became so tiresome that I was begining to fall asleep in the theatre.

Last edited by long_lost_corleone; 08/05/07 01:18 PM.

"Somebody told me when the bomb hits, everybody in a two mile radius will be instantly sublimated, but if you lay face down on the ground for some time, avoiding the residual ripples of heat, you might survive, permanently fucked up and twisted like you're always underwater refracted. But if you do go gas, there's nothing you can do if the air that was once you is mingled and mashed with the kicked up molecules of the enemy's former body. Big-kid-tested, motherf--ker approved."