GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 164 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,729
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,280
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,526
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,406
Posts1,060,304
Members10,349
Most Online911
03:56 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Movies That Should Never Have Been Made [Re: olivant] #422080
08/05/07 01:14 PM
08/05/07 01:14 PM
Right here, but I'd rather be ...
long_lost_corleone Offline
Underboss
long_lost_corleone  Offline
Underboss
 Originally Posted By: olivant
Well, LLC, I detect that you believe that movies are supposed to have a predetermined effect upon people. There are plenty of true fight stories out there that do have a positive ending and are an inspiration for many. George Foreman comes to mind. Since when is inspiration sappy. On the other hand, what is sappy about MDB. It ends with the death of a quite a boxing talent and the struggle of one human being to perpetrate and accept the responsibility for a death.

Inspiration isn't necessarily sappy, it's the way sports films tend to present it. It's like, Rocky... What's to be inspired about by watching a midget on steroids beat a couple of communists to shit? Well, there is the whole notion of presevering and reaching your goals, but I think it's far too straight forward and precise, so much that at some point it all becomes extremely stereotypical and irrelevant to the audience, that I can't help but laugh at the cookie-cutter ideals the film makers are attempting to present.

Inspiration comes in strange forms. I don't need to watch some Silverster Stallone work his way around a speech impediment for two hours to feel inspired. I can so easily stumble upon a film like Taxi Driver and feel inspired in so many of the realms of creation and expression that I often venture into... Be it writing, music, film, animation, paintings and sketchings, what have you; to be able to create something half as beautiful is a task. I don't see anything beautiful about Rocky, at least not enough, and thus I can't feel inspired in anyway, not even in athletics. Rocky doesn't inspire me to go mountain biking, it didn't inspire me to play better soccer back when I was on a team, and it doesn't inspire me artistically either. It totally and completely fails to maintain relevancy for me.

Million Dollar Baby is probably even sappier than Rocky. It's full of recycled emotions and jumbled scenes. That film is completely about inspiration and preserverence as they show the protagonist's persistence. It's a good try, but it just didn't work. Beyond that, I thought the film was horribly paced and just sort of dragged on. The last 20 minutes became so tiresome that I was begining to fall asleep in the theatre.

Last edited by long_lost_corleone; 08/05/07 01:18 PM.

"Somebody told me when the bomb hits, everybody in a two mile radius will be instantly sublimated, but if you lay face down on the ground for some time, avoiding the residual ripples of heat, you might survive, permanently fucked up and twisted like you're always underwater refracted. But if you do go gas, there's nothing you can do if the air that was once you is mingled and mashed with the kicked up molecules of the enemy's former body. Big-kid-tested, motherf--ker approved."
Re: Movies That Should Never Have Been Made [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #422081
08/05/07 01:24 PM
08/05/07 01:24 PM
Underboss
Underboss
 Originally Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra
Spielberg's movies? Come on. They're far from conventional. Their narrative structure, visual superiority, technical prowess and aesthetic discipline have been and always will be forever imitated, but rarely are they matched in the realms of mainstream Hollywood Cinema. His worst (that I've seen) is Munich, and despite all the crass pretentiousness of that film, there were some lovely, visually satisfying moments in it. At worst, he's the victim of his own originality, his own self-promotion - I could easily dislike him for the same reasons I dislike Tarantino: over-familiarity, over-popular, over-influential.

Wha'chu talkin' bout? You limey's are so naive!

In all seriousness, though, I don't find Spielberg's visuals particularly special. But, I've never really been impressed by landscape shots, or special effects, or giant computerized dinosaurs. And thematically, I think he is a bit dense. He tends to over simplify emotions. It's either that, or he always deals with the most basic emotions.

"Somebody told me when the bomb hits, everybody in a two mile radius will be instantly sublimated, but if you lay face down on the ground for some time, avoiding the residual ripples of heat, you might survive, permanently fucked up and twisted like you're always underwater refracted. But if you do go gas, there's nothing you can do if the air that was once you is mingled and mashed with the kicked up molecules of the enemy's former body. Big-kid-tested, motherf--ker approved."
Re: Movies That Should Never Have Been Made [Re: long_lost_corleone] #422105
08/05/07 03:53 PM
08/05/07 03:53 PM
My own world.
whisper Offline
Underboss
whisper  Offline
Underboss
My own world.
Leprechauns in da hood,is a film that springs to my mind.

The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero uses his fear, projects it onto his opponent, while the coward runs. It's the same thing, fear, but it's what you do with it that matters. Cus D'Amato
Re: Movies That Should Never Have Been Made [Re: whisper] #422117
08/05/07 04:13 PM
08/05/07 04:13 PM
Underboss
Underboss

You actually saw that? I've been meaning to watch it; it just looks so absolutely horrible that it'd be bordering hilarity.

Re: Movies That Should Never Have Been Made [Re: long_lost_corleone] #422119
08/05/07 04:26 PM
08/05/07 04:26 PM
My own world.
whisper Offline
Underboss
whisper  Offline
Underboss
My own world.
Oh it does.I saw it on T.v the other day,it's great for a laugh.Had me in stitches,it's so bad.

The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero uses his fear, projects it onto his opponent, while the coward runs. It's the same thing, fear, but it's what you do with it that matters. Cus D'Amato
Re: Movies That Should Never Have Been Made [Re: whisper] #422144
08/05/07 07:27 PM
08/05/07 07:27 PM
UK, Little old Rotherham near ...
Zaf-the-don Offline
Capo di tutti i capi
Zaf-the-don  Offline
Capo di tutti i capi
Underboss
UK, Little old Rotherham near ...
The godfather part 3, it wasnt needed.

Re: Movies That Should Never Have Been Made [Re: long_lost_corleone] #422354
08/06/07 10:28 AM
08/06/07 10:28 AM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
 Originally Posted By: long_lost_corleone
How about every film in the Rocky series?

LLC, you're a good boy, but you HAVE to get past this Rocky hating phase. If you drink your milk, and eat your spinach, you can grow up to be big and strong, just like him. \:p

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Movies That Should Never Have Been Made [Re: pizzaboy] #422361
08/06/07 10:46 AM
08/06/07 10:46 AM
Texas
O
olivant Offline OP
olivant  Offline OP
O

Texas
 Originally Posted By: pizzaboy

LLC, you're a good boy, but you HAVE to get past this Rocky hating phase. If you drink your milk, and eat your spinach, you can grow up to be big and strong, just like him. \:p

Let's call this an intervention. Listen to him LLC. We're here for you. You can do this. You'll thank us one day.

"Generosity. That was my first mistake."
"Experience must be our only guide; reason may mislead us."
"Instagram is Twitter for people who can't read."
Re: Movies That Should Never Have Been Made [Re: olivant] #422376
08/06/07 11:47 AM
08/06/07 11:47 AM
DE NIRO Offline
DE NIRO  Offline

Make sure you skip Rocky 5.LOL

The Mafia Is Not Primarily An Organisation Of Murderers.
First And Foremost,The Mafia Is Made Up Of Thieves.
It Is Driven By Greed And Controlled By Fear.

Between The Law And The Mafia, The Law Is Not The Most To Be Feared

"What if the Mafia were not an organization but a widespread Sicilian attitude of hostility towards the law?"

"Make Love Not War" John Lennon
Re: Movies That Should Never Have Been Made [Re: DE NIRO] #422389
08/06/07 12:17 PM
08/06/07 12:17 PM
Underboss
Underboss
I'll just skip them all.

Honestly, I was shocked when I heard Stallone didn't have an extra chromosome.

Re: Movies That Should Never Have Been Made [Re: pizzaboy] #422398
08/06/07 12:49 PM
08/06/07 12:49 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee

But Pizzaboy......most of the ROCKY movies sucked. What, you forgot about ROCKY V?

I know Stallone is your boy and all, but....

Anyway, as far as I see it, ROCKY BALBOA is the only true sequel made for ROCKY. The rest were silly fantasies.

Re: Movies That Should Never Have Been Made [Re: whisper] #422399
08/06/07 12:50 PM
08/06/07 12:50 PM
Existential Well
svsg Offline
Underboss
svsg  Offline
Underboss
Existential Well
I want to comment on lot of posts, but this is what happens if you don't have internet at home... too many interesting posts to reply.
Anyway, some points that I want to comment on:

1) LLC, I share your view about spielberg. I do remember enjoying Jurassic park in theaters when it was released. I liked the first Rocky and didn't hate Million Dollar Baby (it scores low on "cliche" scale compared to other horrible movies)
2)TIS, American beauty??? It is one of my all time favorites. What did you not like about it? \:\(
3) My suggestions to the list: oceans 12 and matrix-revolutions

Re: Movies That Should Never Have Been Made [Re: svsg] #422402
08/06/07 12:56 PM
08/06/07 12:56 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
OCEAN'S 12.......well, I've written many times before of how retarded I think the twist is, and the fact that its way too crowded, to the point it makes one point why several people were doing in the movie.

what about MATRIX RELOADED while you're at it? Both sequels had promising ideas, but of course promising ideas mean SHIT if they're botched in execution.

MILLION DOLLAR BABY's problem was the script from Paul "Melodrama" Haggis. Otherwise, Eastwood and Swank did just fine.

Re: Movies That Should Never Have Been Made [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #422406
08/06/07 01:06 PM
08/06/07 01:06 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline OP
olivant  Offline OP
O

Texas
 Originally Posted By: ronnierocketAGO

But Pizzaboy......most of the ROCKY movies sucked. What, you forgot about ROCKY V?

Anyway, as far as I see it, ROCKY BALBOA is the only true sequel

made for ROCKY. The rest were silly fantasies.

Stallone is my boy too.

Pizza, I think we're going to find a way to reason with these Board bigshots.

Re: Movies That Should Never Have Been Made [Re: olivant] #422411
08/06/07 01:40 PM
08/06/07 01:40 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee

Stallone is my boy too.

Yeah, just send some of your boys down here in Appalachia, and see how long they last not with spagetti with marinara but noodles and ketchup.

;\)

Re: Movies That Should Never Have Been Made [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #422439
08/06/07 02:42 PM
08/06/07 02:42 PM
Existential Well
svsg Offline
Underboss
svsg  Offline
Underboss
Existential Well

what about MATRIX RELOADED while you're at it? Both sequels had promising ideas, but of course promising ideas mean SHIT if they're botched in execution.

I don't remember any promising ideas in revolutions. All I remember is a bunch of new characters shooting away to glory sitting on huge robotic machines Makes me wonder if it was the same set of people who made the wonderful first part.

As far as part 2 is concerned, it did introduce a lot of ambitious concepts that it did not explore in part 3. Some hightlights were the idea of the ambiguous role of oracle and cloning of Agent Smith into several agents. The downside was introducing stuff like key-maker, going back to source (which if explained well, would have made sense), the scientist who speaks a 10-page dialogue which makes no sense, the bike chase which looked like a video game and the french-man (again unsatisfactorily explored in part 2 and 3). As I finish typing this post, I think part 2 was pretty bad indeed.

Re: Movies That Should Never Have Been Made [Re: svsg] #422458
08/06/07 03:47 PM
08/06/07 03:47 PM
Underboss
Underboss
 Originally Posted By: svsg
TIS, American beauty??? It is one of my all time favorites. What did you not like about it? \:\(

I loved all three of the movies she mentioned. Most particularly Boogie Nights... I think a lot of people overlooked the humor and weren't sure what to make of the mix of comedy and drama. But I list this movie up there as one of the funniest films I've ever seen, along with comedic gems like Duck Soup. I laughed so hard during my first viewing.

Re: Movies That Should Never Have Been Made [Re: olivant] #422466
08/06/07 04:03 PM
08/06/07 04:03 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck

Stallone is my boy too.

I have to go to my local Parish later on, St Benedict's. I'll light a candle for them.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Movies That Should Never Have Been Made [Re: pizzaboy] #422480
08/06/07 05:26 PM
08/06/07 05:26 PM
OH, VA, KY
Mignon Offline
Mama Mig
Mignon  Offline
Mama Mig

OH, VA, KY
Rocky, 2,3,4 were good. Rocky 5 sucked bigtime. Rocky Balboa was great also. IMHO.

Dylan Matthew Moran born 10/30/12

Re: Movies That Should Never Have Been Made [Re: Mignon] #422483
08/06/07 05:31 PM
08/06/07 05:31 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
 Originally Posted By: Mignon
Rocky, 2,3,4 were good. Rocky 5 sucked bigtime. Rocky Balboa was great also. IMHO.

Well, if Sly didn't do a thing with the character after the original, then came along last year with Rocky Balboa: Thirty Years Later, that would've been ideal. Although, I must admit, ROCKY II was an incredible movie-going experience for me and my dim-witted friends, back in 1979. Like Eddie Murphy said in RAW: Rockooooooooooooo!!

Re: Movies That Should Never Have Been Made [Re: Mignon] #422572
08/06/07 10:35 PM
08/06/07 10:35 PM
Texas
O
olivant Offline OP
olivant  Offline OP
O

Texas
 Originally Posted By: Mignon

I haven't seen Rocky Balboa. Please, send me a PM and tell me about it. What happens in the end? I can enjoy a movie just as much even when I know how it ends (e,g, The Godfather) I'l see it eventually.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull