Originally Posted By: whisper the don from down under
I dislike covers.Come up with your own 100% original compositions.

While I do enjoy and appreciate the cynicism (and, I assure you, I'm completely serious when I say that), covers can be fun. Cover bands, on the other hand, are pointless entities. But, if you're in a band that already has a handful of originals, what's wrong with taking a pre-existing song and then tweaking it a bit? Of course, that's what has to be done. I wouldn't recommend trying to completely recreate a recording, which is absolutely impossible in regards to recreating the exact same energy that makes the song great to begin with. Find your own energy and use the chemistry among your band-mates to apply to the song, and make it your own. I think the best compliment you could receive in critique to a cover is "this doesn't sound like the original." It's just a shame that people are so dense that they manage to convince themselves that that's an insult.

"Somebody told me when the bomb hits, everybody in a two mile radius will be instantly sublimated, but if you lay face down on the ground for some time, avoiding the residual ripples of heat, you might survive, permanently fucked up and twisted like you're always underwater refracted. But if you do go gas, there's nothing you can do if the air that was once you is mingled and mashed with the kicked up molecules of the enemy's former body. Big-kid-tested, motherf--ker approved."