GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 412 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,851
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,476
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,530
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,436
Posts1,060,963
Members10,349
Most Online992
Yesterday at 04:40 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 252 of 319 1 2 250 251 252 253 254 318 319
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #419729
07/28/07 01:26 PM
07/28/07 01:26 PM
DonVitoCorleone Offline
Underboss
DonVitoCorleone  Offline
Underboss
I've already explained why I don't like it multiple times Crapo. You simply stating reasons why you did like it doesn't make my reasons any less valid.

Last edited by DonVitoCorleone; 07/28/07 01:28 PM.

I dig farmers don't shoot me please!
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: DonVitoCorleone] #419737
07/28/07 02:58 PM
07/28/07 02:58 PM
East Bay
Blibbleblabble Offline
Poo-tee-weet?
Blibbleblabble  Offline
Poo-tee-weet?

East Bay
 Originally Posted By: DonVitoCorleone
I've already explained why I don't like it multiple times Crapo. You simply stating reasons why you did like it doesn't make my reasons any less valid.

I think what "Crapo" ( ) was saying, and it went right over your head, is that you haven't given any reasons why you hate it.

Please tell us your reasons. Nobody is saying your reasons for hating the movie aren't valid, we just want to hear your reasons.

"There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want." -Calvin and Hobbes
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: Blibbleblabble] #419738
07/28/07 02:59 PM
07/28/07 02:59 PM
DonVitoCorleone Offline
Underboss
DonVitoCorleone  Offline
Underboss
They're in the shoutbox.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: DonVitoCorleone] #419739
07/28/07 03:01 PM
07/28/07 03:01 PM
East Bay
Blibbleblabble Offline
Poo-tee-weet?
Blibbleblabble  Offline
Poo-tee-weet?

East Bay
They're in the shoutbox.

Well that doesn't help out me or anyone else who signs on later. I don't want to scroll up through the shout box and hope it is still there. Oh well. Don't worry about it.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: Blibbleblabble] #419741
07/28/07 03:35 PM
07/28/07 03:35 PM
Gateshead, UK
Capo de La Cosa Nostra Offline
Capo de La Cosa Nostra  Offline

Gateshead, UK
Okay, because the shoutbox is (rightfully) inadequate for such lengthy discussion, I'll continue it here...

Originally Posted By: DVC
You've repeated your initial response to it several times, yes, but you've not said anything new in response to the film since I've praised it.

This is what you wrote about Zodiac a while ago, and repeated just now in the Shout Box:

Originally Posted By: DVC
It's an incredibly dull, lifeless film that spends way too much time hammering out the details of an unsolved case that has no effect on my life, or anybody else's for that matter. There is far too much dialogue, and there isn't a single scene in the film I found interesting. The only thing that kept going through my head the entire second half of the film was "I DON'T CARE, I DON'T CARE, I DON'T CARE, I DON'T CARE." I hated the ending too. I can't think of anything lazier than ending a film with text, explaining to the viewer what happened to each character. And what's worse is, Fincher didn't really do anything before the ending to make me care about any of the characters.
But you wrote that before I ever said any praise for the film; since then, that's all that you've responded with. You've not gone to any "yeah, but" counterpoint, you've just thrown the same thing back into my face. Repeating a point doesn't make it more valid, either.

What your saying is similar to me replying to that quote above with nothing but the words "MASTERPIECE! MASTERPIECE!"

Furhermore, on FCM you actually said to somebody "Please don't [see the film]". What's all that about?

But I don't want to sound like a bully, here. I can't stand it when people try to push other people's opinions into corners; I know you like watching films, and I'm trying (if you'll indulge me) to fetch out the best of you, to bring yourself, if you like, closer to knowing your own tastes, by means of seeing what works and what doesn't work, and why that is. Does that make me pretentious? Possibly, but take it as a compliment that I even care enough to post all of this.

Keep in mind that Zodiac is not only a serial killer film. It's a film about information, about technologies, about communication. A large portion of the film comprises the to-and-fro between the Zodiac and the newspaper to whom he's writing - and writing, initially, in code. The film is dialogue heavy, you're right, but it's in line with being visual-heavy, too - Fincher lays text over imagery and does all sorts of things with CGI to invoke an environment fuelled by the acquiring and publication of information. There's a scene in the film where two police departments in two different cities communicate via telephone, and one cop wants to fax another cop the code Zodiac has sent them, and guess what, the other cop says they don't have a fax machine yet. It's a film all to do with transitions in technology, I think, during the sixties and seventies, and how a society can live in fear because of a lack of technology - very self-reflexively, it's a film in turn made at a time, in real life, when we're obsessed with watching the news, acquiring information, keeping in touch with "reality". It's also based on a book by one of the characters in the film, and that book is published during the film (at one point he says, "I'm thinking of writing a book about all of this"), and the book's a bestseller in an airport, seen in an establishing shot where the protagonist is travelling across the country via plane - times change, there's no pussy-footing around on the phone anymore. It's very clever, I think; visually, it looks like a film shot in the seventies, only it's made with digital technology... because Cinema itself is a medium in transition right now, and the digitial capabilities are finally being explored further in recent years.

To be honest, the most important point I thought should be at least considered in your reply above, was this, what I wrote:

Originally Posted By: me
You hate it despite its rich visual textures, the fact that it looks like film when it isn't, it's unconventional narrative, its expert editing, its thematic infrastructure...

I realise you're prone to hyperbole, though: if you confessed to indifference due to subject matter, I could perhaps let you off. \:p

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #419743
07/28/07 03:56 PM
07/28/07 03:56 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
Capo, you are so right about ZODIAC that no one else could possibly write a better analysis of the film.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #419750
07/28/07 04:13 PM
07/28/07 04:13 PM
East Bay
Blibbleblabble Offline
Poo-tee-weet?
Blibbleblabble  Offline
Poo-tee-weet?

East Bay
No kidding. You've inspired me to go rent it tonight. Hopefully there is a copy left for me at Blockbuster.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: SC] #419800
07/28/07 08:55 PM
07/28/07 08:55 PM
Beth E Offline
Crabby
Beth E  Offline
Crabby

Originally Posted By: SC

"Hud". He's a real bastard in it and Patricia Neal was wonderful.

TCM is playing this now. I don't know, Paul Newman as a bastard is still quite lovable. \:\) I've got a hunch what I think is the cause of the rift between his father and him. I'll have to see if I'm right.

My favorite line so far. "You still got that itch? Let me know if I can take care of it".

How about a little less questions and a lot more shut the hell up - Brian Griffin

When there's a will...put me in it.
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: Beth E] #419803
07/28/07 09:19 PM
07/28/07 09:19 PM
Beth E Offline
Crabby
Beth E  Offline
Crabby

I knew Hud got drunk and drove and caused his brother's death. As soon as his father gave him a look when he was going out with his nephew, then gave him the keys, I figured that's what happened.

Last edited by Beth E; 07/28/07 09:19 PM.

How about a little less questions and a lot more shut the hell up - Brian Griffin

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: Beth E] #419804
07/28/07 09:44 PM
07/28/07 09:44 PM
Gateshead, UK

Gateshead, UK
I knew a woman once called Spoiler Spoilersson! \:p

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: Beth E] #419805
07/28/07 09:58 PM
07/28/07 09:58 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
 Originally Posted By: Beth E
TCM is playing this now. I don't know, Paul Newman as a bastard is still quite lovable.

So... what'd you think of it??

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: SC] #419806
07/28/07 09:59 PM
07/28/07 09:59 PM
Beth E Offline
Crabby
Beth E  Offline
Crabby

I thought it was very riveting. It was sad when they had to kill all the cattle. I kind of thought he and Patricia Neal would actually get together. I didn't suspect he'd try to rape her. I guess that's where the bastard part of him comes in.

It was kind of ironic. At the end all he had was his own bitterness, alone in an empty house.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #419807
07/28/07 10:00 PM
07/28/07 10:00 PM
Beth E Offline
Crabby
Beth E  Offline
Crabby

Originally Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra

Since when does a 44 year old movie need a spoiler.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: Beth E] #419808
07/28/07 10:04 PM
07/28/07 10:04 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
IIt was kind of ironic. At the end all he had was his own bitterness, alone in an empty house.

A fitting ending.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: Beth E] #419810
07/28/07 10:09 PM
07/28/07 10:09 PM
Gateshead, UK

Gateshead, UK

Since when does a 44 year old movie need a spoiler.
Well, to be honest, since the fact that I haven't seen it. What's the cut-off time for spoilers?

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #419910
07/29/07 02:15 AM
07/29/07 02:15 AM
DonVitoCorleone Offline
Underboss
DonVitoCorleone  Offline
Underboss
I realise you're prone to hyperbole, though: if you confessed to indifference due to subject matter, I could perhaps let you off. \:p

Isn't that basically what I said in the first place?

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: DonVitoCorleone] #419929
07/29/07 04:34 AM
07/29/07 04:34 AM
Yunkai
afsaneh77 Offline
Mother of Dragons
afsaneh77  Offline
Mother of Dragons

Yunkai
I should stop watching movies just because IMDb database recommends them based on a certain movie I've liked.

I watched Notebook yesterday and this chick didn't like this flick. If it is cliché, don't make it predictable; and even if you do, try maintaining a little chemistry. \:\/

"Fire cannot kill a dragon." -Daenerys Targaryen, Game of Thrones
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: afsaneh77] #419934
07/29/07 04:40 AM
07/29/07 04:40 AM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
 Originally Posted By: afsaneh77
I watched Notebook yesterday and this chick didn't like this flick. If it is cliché, don't make it predictable; and even if you do, try maintaining a little chemistry.

You mean the "Notebook" with James Garner???

I loved the story.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: SC] #419937
07/29/07 04:47 AM
07/29/07 04:47 AM
Yunkai
afsaneh77 Offline
Mother of Dragons
afsaneh77  Offline
Mother of Dragons

Yunkai
Well, James Garner and Gena Rowlands despite the memory issues had more chemistry than the young couple. The story might have been fabulous as a book, but this movie did not do it any justice.

"Fire cannot kill a dragon." -Daenerys Targaryen, Game of Thrones
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: DonVitoCorleone] #420018
07/29/07 11:11 AM
07/29/07 11:11 AM
Gateshead, UK

Gateshead, UK

Isn't that basically what I said in the first place?
Well, no. You said you hated it, that it had no relevance to anybody's life and chose not to admit praise for its aesthetic or technical value... in fact, forget "value", and replace it with innovation. You even said to a fellow film fan "Please don't [see this film]."

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #420056
07/29/07 01:24 PM
07/29/07 01:24 PM
DonVitoCorleone Offline
Underboss
DonVitoCorleone  Offline
Underboss
We've already had this discussion Capo. I'm repeating myself all over again.

I never said the film doesn't have any relevance to anyone's life, I'm speaking specifically about the case. Fincher did nothing to make it interesting to me. "Aesthetic and technical value and/or innovation." Fine. Maybe the film has technical and aesthetic value to you, but not me. Nothing grasped me. And technical or aesthetic innovation doesn't automatically translate into greatness. I mean, the whole fucking idea of liking a film is all based on your emotional reaction to it while you're watching it. The rest comes later.

I don't know why you keep posting, you're not going to convince me to change my mind about the film, and you're not going to convince me to watch it again. I didn't like it. At all. I hated it. Nothing's going to change that, so why bother trying to convince me otherwise?

You're coming off as extremely unlikeable right now.

Last edited by DonVitoCorleone; 07/29/07 01:25 PM.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: DonVitoCorleone] #420069
07/29/07 01:39 PM
07/29/07 01:39 PM
Gateshead, UK

Gateshead, UK
I suppose I am trying to convince you of the film's greatness, yes, but only by means of exposing the severe inadequacies of your argument. And the inadequacies I speak of are the telling other film fans not to see it, and ignoring the film's originality, lovely imagery and other stuff besides its story.

Quote:
You're coming off as extremely unlikeable right now.
I'd rather be unlikeable "right now" than all the time. \:p

Oh well. I think it's a pity that you're overlooking that Fincher is using existing technologies in a way that have not been used before. Liking a film stems from the persistent enjoyment of it whilst watching, I agree. I'm just curious as to why you're not excited, whilst watching it, by the knowledge that Fincher is doing things which haven't been done before. It seems you took the premise and details of the case, magnified your indifference to them by the fact that it is in the end unsolved, and then switched off entirely, deciding to ignore technical, aesthetic and technological factors.

And to be fair and honest, DVC, you did say the case if not the film had no relevance to "[your] life or anybody else's". How you can account for others' tastes is beyond comprehension. And for the record, at the time, the case was relevant to the entire Californian region under terror, the killer himself, the investigators, the journalists covering it, and in turn the makers of the film, and then in turn again the viewers of the film. That's a lot of people that the case is relevant to, really.

Quote:
Maybe the film has technical and aesthetic value to you, but not me.
So you didn't like its use of CGI, visual texture, cinematography, editing and the digital process involved in making it? If your answer is a simple NO, then fine... But I shall forever remain curious.

Last edited by Capo de La Cosa Nostra; 07/29/07 01:42 PM.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #420163
07/29/07 04:40 PM
07/29/07 04:40 PM
DonVitoCorleone Offline
Underboss
DonVitoCorleone  Offline
Underboss
When I told Omar (right?) not to see it, I didn't actually mean it. I want to everybody to see every film ever made, ever. In fact, I'm glad I saw Zodiac. I was just emphasizing my hatred for the film by saying that.

Quote:
So you didn't like its use of CGI, visual texture, cinematography, editing and the digital process involved in making it?

No.

Last edited by DonVitoCorleone; 07/29/07 04:41 PM.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: DonVitoCorleone] #420194
07/29/07 07:15 PM
07/29/07 07:15 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline OP
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline OP
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
GRAY MATTERS
(First Viewing)

Gray and Sam are brother and sister and best friends, flatmates in New York City, where she creates ad campaigns and he's a surgery intern. Their social life is too insular, so they head to a dog park so Sam can, maybe, meet a woman. He does - Charlie - a zoologist new in the city; he likes her immediately, and the feeling seems mutual. As the three of them spend time together, what if Gray's feelings for Charlie aren't just sisterly? Not only might this explain her solitary life, but it could lead to real dilemmas - with Charlie (who's sweet, but a bit opaque) and with Sam. No advice comes from Gray's therapist, but a co-worker and a cab driver give theirs. Can Gray sort things out?

I hope writer/director Sue Kramer never gets another movie to work on again. This was very bad in terms of the script and some of the acting. The jokes were just bad and not hardly funny at all. Thomas Cavanagh seemed like he was downing cans of Red Bull in between every take. Whether or not his character was supposed to be so hyper or if it's just his nature, it definitely took away from the film. Bridget Moynahan on the other hand, where has she gone? I, ROBOT made a little noise but her best film I think was staring alongside Nicholas Cage in LORD OF WAR. Before and since then it's been nonexistent and the streak, unfortunately, seems to continue. And remember the chick from LICENSE TO DRIVE and AUSTIN POWERS: THE SPY WHO SHAGGED ME and FROM HELL? What was her name again? Oh yes, Heather Graham. My how the mighty have fallen! I just hope her check for this film was worth the pile of sh*t which was the end result of this project.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: SC] #420221
07/29/07 08:57 PM
07/29/07 08:57 PM
Beth E Offline
Crabby
Beth E  Offline
Crabby

Originally Posted By: SC
 Originally Posted By: afsaneh77
I watched Notebook yesterday and this chick didn't like this flick. If it is cliché, don't make it predictable; and even if you do, try maintaining a little chemistry.

You mean the "Notebook" with James Garner???

I loved the story.

Or she could have meant the more recent movie, "The Notebook".

http://www.thenotebookmovie.com/

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: Beth E] #420223
07/29/07 09:01 PM
07/29/07 09:01 PM
New York
SC Offline
Consigliere
SC  Offline
Consigliere

New York
Or she could have meant the more recent movie, "The Notebook".

http://www.thenotebookmovie.com/

Same movie, Beth.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: Irishman12] #420246
07/29/07 10:06 PM
07/29/07 10:06 PM
Right here, but I'd rather be ...
long_lost_corleone Offline
Underboss
long_lost_corleone  Offline
Underboss
Right here, but I'd rather be ...
 Originally Posted By: Irishman12
GAY MATTERS

A-heh-heh-heh...

Yeah, that's what I read while quickly scrolling down the page. I apologize for my immaturity.

Actually, no, I don't. Immaturity rules. Anyone who disagrees is just fat. And not like, "Nukka, youse is PHAT," but like, "Fuck dude, you're fat."

"Somebody told me when the bomb hits, everybody in a two mile radius will be instantly sublimated, but if you lay face down on the ground for some time, avoiding the residual ripples of heat, you might survive, permanently fucked up and twisted like you're always underwater refracted. But if you do go gas, there's nothing you can do if the air that was once you is mingled and mashed with the kicked up molecules of the enemy's former body. Big-kid-tested, motherf--ker approved."
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: long_lost_corleone] #420363
07/30/07 10:40 AM
07/30/07 10:40 AM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline OP
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline OP
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
THE NUMBER 23 1/2
(First Viewing)

Walter Sparrow becomes obsessed with a novel that he believes was written about him. As his obsession increases, more and more similarities seem to arise.
I had previously heard this movie was pretty bad but others said it was pretty good. I agree with the former. The story is rather ludicrous about a "killing" number. And in addition to that, there wasn't much of a shock value to the ending. I'm not saying every film has to have shock value to enhance it, but when it's a kind of a "who's-done-it" movie, sometype of twist is appreciated, rather than just saying 'meh' when the entire story is finally revealed. Finally, some of the CGI is shoty and as I've said again and again, CGI should only be used to enhance the film. I hate it when directors use it just to use it because it's available or they think it'll look cool. Instead, it takes away from the film and looks cheap.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: Irishman12] #420535
07/30/07 05:30 PM
07/30/07 05:30 PM
Existential Well
svsg Offline
Underboss
svsg  Offline
Underboss
Existential Well
Spiderman 3 *
I really really liked all the characters in the movie except Spiderman His character is totally annoying. I had seen the first two parts and really liked them for making the super hero human with all the weaknessnes and problems. But this time, it is not any of that. It is not even about the evil side taking over etc. He is a plain arrogant, indifferent jerk now that you cannot sympathise with. All the villians are infact likeable. Excellent performances overall. Plus Toby Maguire has put on a lot of weight overall, making him look bad. Nothing exceptional special effects wise. I am sure this is not the end of the series. Hopefully the next spidey sequel will be better.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: svsg] #420538
07/30/07 05:33 PM
07/30/07 05:33 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
I wasn't crazy about the ending.

Warning, Spoiler:
Sandman walking off into the sunset like a tortured anti-hero.

And Mary Jane is becoming a bit of a boozy slut if you ask me.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Page 252 of 319 1 2 250 251 252 253 254 318 319

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull