Originally Posted By: Turnbull
Just a few:
Seconds
True Confessions
I considered these, but figured you'd post them. Seconds has one of the most gripping openings ever, I think. The ending is a knockout too. True Confessions (which Plaw would have surely praised in this thread, too) is a quiet, subtle, excellently-acted film.

I'd add three more, all from the same year, for now (more to come as I think of them)...

It (1927)
dir. Clarence Badger - amazingly sophisticated film in both film language and the way in which its in-film romance unfolds. Gains much from the star of its day, Clara Bow (what a knockout she is, too), who embodies the girl who has "it", an elusive something which attracts men.

Shooting Stars (1927)
dir. Anthony Asquith / A.V. Bramble - Charles Barr, a renowned authority on British silent film, called this the "mature silent cinema that speaks for itself". And it does, too. Innovate film grammar, deep self-reflexivity, and complex moral solution. A must-see, for definite.

The Unknown (1927)
dir. Tod Browning - Browning is probably noted most for Freaks (1932), but here he and Lon Chaney create an absolute masterpiece which I rarely (if ever) see in top 100 lists of American films. It's impeccable, in acting, lighting, and the dark, perverse narrative and the Freudian imagery. Unforgettable, once seen.

Last edited by Capo de La Cosa Nostra; 07/28/07 08:36 PM.

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?