Originally Posted By: olivant
 Originally Posted By: johnny ola
 Originally Posted By: olivant
Vito ambushed Fanucci. That's courage?

There's nothing in the film to that point which indicates the level of Genco's intelligence. On the other hand, perhaps it does. Perhaps it was an intelligent decision by Genco, a grocer, not to take up arms against an alleged blackhander.

Interesting thought, lets examine it. While ambushing Fanucci might not on the surface seem to be courageous, I would submit that, that was the only way to eliminate him. I am sure that others if they had the courage would have loved to eliminated Fanucci. Even though we know that Fanucci, acted alone, did Vito know? Isn't it possible that the reason others didn't make an attempt on Fannuccis life, is because they feared retribution from his family? Vito was in a state of warfare with Fanucci, not out of power or greed, but necessity. Fanucci screwed Vito twice out of money, and in effect was taking the food out of Vito's families mouth. He had enough, and did what he had to do. Did you want him to challenge Fanucci to a duel at twenty paces, or have a Matt Dillon shootout?

There was no warfare between the two and I don't recall Vito running into the streets yelling "Ding Dong, the warlock's dead!"

My good friend, there was most certaintly a state of warfare between Vito and Fannucci, as the basis of all war is greed, and Fannucci was being greedy and hurting Vito. While there wasn't a scene of Vito running into the streets, there was a deleted scene of Vito dancing on the rooftops after he shot Fannucci singing "I like to be in America", which FFC copied from West Side Story

I love my Chrysler and tuna fish sandwiches.