Originally Posted By: completely_legitimate
 Originally Posted By: johnny ola

What was so great about Genco? Wasn't Vito smarter and braver then Genco? Genco ran away when he saw that his girlfriend was being threatened, while Vito, went after Fanucci when Fanucci tried to extort him.

Genco backed away rather than confront Fanucci openly, which was probably a smart decision if Fanucci was connected, and certainly while Fanucci was threatening his girlfriend with a knife to her face. When Vito made his move against Fanucci he set it up by first behaving in a manner that convinced Fanucci he was cowed, then laying in wait for him in a dark hallway.

In making the comparision of the manner in which Vito and Genco dealt with Fanucci, the most notable factor is that Genco showed fear, and from all indications, did nothing to retaliate against Fanucci, while on the other hand Vito never showed any feared, and in fact Fannucci gave him credit:

FANUCCI [in Italian]

You've got balls, young man! How come I never heard of you before? You've got a lot of guts. I'll find you some work for good money.

All I am saying is that from what is shown of Genco, it doesn't appear as though he showed much courage or intelligence.

I love my Chrysler and tuna fish sandwiches.