Originally Posted By: whisper the don from down under
Patriotism is over rated.I dont think he was un American per se.I think he held on to his old school ways and values.Also Michael is his son.To Vito he's watching his son risk his life for strangers,literally.I think thats what Vito saw first before seeing it as a service to America.

It's not that I disagree with you Whisper, it's that I disagree with YOUR right to say that American patriotism is overrated. You're Australian, and you have no idea what it's been like over here for the last few years.

Perhaps if someone drove an airplane into the outback or into a dingo farm and an American poster said something to the effect of "eh, they're just a bunch of Aussies and their sense of themselves is overrated," then you'd understand.

As far as Vito, well, he came here from a goverment (Sicily- early 20th century) that did not care about him, so how trustful could he have been of an American government that was foreign to him? I'm not trying to make excuses for him, it's just that I think I have an understanding of his thought process.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.