BRANDED TO KILL
(First Viewing)

The film's story centers on Hanada, a.k.a. "No. 3 Killer," the third-best hit man in Japanese organized crime. Near the top of his game, his fortunes change when he encounters Misako, a mysterious, death-obsessed woman who brings him a particularly difficult mission. In a famous moment indicative of the film's eccentric sensibility, a butterfly lands on his gun's sight at the exact moment he pulls the trigger, causing him to miss the shot. This failure means that the killer becomes the target, and must run for his life from his former employers, and the mysterious "No. 1 Killer." While the film does contain some spectacular action sequences, the story is played less as a suspense thriller than as a surrealistic, psychosexual nightmare, filled with grotesque imagery and strange touches, from Hanada's fetish for the smell of boiling rice, to Misako's use of a dead bird's corpse as a rear-view mirror decoration.

This one was a little hard for me to follow but I think it's fair to say now I'm not the biggest fan of Seijun Suzuki's work. This was probably the most impressive film of his I've seen but I wouldn't really rush to see more of his work. There was a lot of imagery in this film but I felt it bounced around a lot. Towards the beginning, I didn't know if a scene was playing in real time or was a flashback.