Originally Posted By: ginaitaliangirl
Goombah, we should've discussed Zep together long ago! Ice introduced me to the band - I feel foolish for never giving them a try before...it was like discovering what music really is, when I first listened to them. A rock awakening, as I switched from oldies (what I'd listened to for years) to stuff like Zeppelin, Queen, Jimi Hendrix, AC/DC, Guns N' Roses, etc. Not that I never knew of this music, but I finally immersed myself in it, and fell in love.

What Plant manages to do with his voice amazes me. The "wailing" you mentioned is just incredible - in tunes like 'Whole Lotta Love' and 'Dazed and Confused,' his moaning and wailing, something that seems so simple, always just blows me away because of how great it sounds and how it really makes the song.

I can't remember if Ice has posted it here, but I think you'd really enjoy the documentary-style videos he found on LZ at YouTube.

LED ZEPPELIN INSIDE 1968 - 1980 A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkpzbCMX4Gw

There are many parts posted by the same user, and I think it goes up to Q. I'm still working through it, but it's really good stuff and fun to watch.

Thanks Gina - I'll be sure to check your recommendations out on You Tube.

It's funny that you mentioned recently discovering Zep. I "discovered" them when I was in high school as well (I think you're about that age or early in your college career), long after John Bonham's death and after their popularity had faded. What makes this group stand the test of time is the fabulous musicianship. Let's face it, Jimmy Page, Robert Plant and John Bonham are always in the discussion as being among the best as guitarists, vocalists, and drummers, respectively. John Paul Jones will always be underappreciated, but he was a tremendous organist and bassist as well. This was a band that had an "all-star" at every position.

The other thing about Zeppelin is the mystery that surrounds them. It's impossible for bands to have Zeppelin's mystique these days with MTV, iTunes, You Tube, and our age of instant media. There is the fact that there were rarely on television, which in turn made fans want to buy their records and concert tickets. It's different now, but Rolling Stone used to slam Zeppelin in its reviews. Then there is the urban legend that they sold their souls to the devil for their tremendous success (if you have not read Hammer of the Gods by Stephen Davis, I highly recommend it). I'm not into all that kind of voodoo, but it is interesting to see how high they went (popularity and wealth) and their tremendous hardships (Plant's near fatal 1976 auto accident, the death of Plant's young child, Page's fascination with the occult and dating a 14 year old, and John Bonham's unfortunate death).