LIVE FREE OR DIE HARD
(First Viewing)

When a criminal plot is in place to take down the entire computer and technological structure that supports the economy of the United States (and the world), it's up to a decidedly "old school" hero, police detective John McClane, to take down the conspiracy, aided by a young hacker.

3 words sum up this movie for me: better than expected. Since day one I was against the idea, especially when I heard it was going to be PG-13. And even though it's not the old McClane that we all love and remember, he's not very far off. Justin Long did a great job in a big Blockbuster movie providing the humor outlet and Mary Elizabeth Winstead continues to grow as well. The Kevin Smith cameo was a nice touch but what impressed me the most with the film was Timothy Olyphant as the villain. I'll always remember him from SCREAM 2 as Mickey and he's done some fine work on HBO's DEADWOOD series, however I haven't seen him in many movies recently.

But back to the movie, yes I thought it was another unnecessary remake. I could have lived without seeing McClane again, especially watered down to PG-13 rating so the teenie bobbers could get in on the action. However, from all of the other sequels I've deemed unnecessary these past few years, this is probably the best. I've heard rumors of a DIE HARD 5 and even though I'm against that as well, DIE HARD 4 paved the way that could make a possible DIE HARD 5 equally as good. For the franchise I'd rank them as follows:

1) DIE HARD: WITH A VENGENCE
2) DIE HARD
3) LIVE FREE OR DIE HARD
4) DIE HARD 2