Originally Posted By: 24framespersecond
Irishman12, I got to say that you probably have the widest and unpredictable range of taste in movies. That's a compliment, by the way.

Going by some of your reviews, I would've never guessed you would like an Ozu or Mizoguchi film. I know people whose favorites are much like yours and they were bored by an Ozu film.

Harakiri is fantastic. It's in the highest category of classics.

Well thank you, I do appreciate that (and Capo's even mentioned it too). Recently, I've had this passion for Japanese classic films. Basically, any Japanese movie that the Criterion Collection puts out on DVD, I'll watch it. Ozu isn't my favorite Japanese director but I do enjoy his work. His films are drama pieces and I find them a little slow with not a lot of suspense/tension to keep me entertained, however ever film of his that I've seen, I've enjoyed. I've viewed his "Noriko Trilogy" (LATE SPRING, EARLY SUMMER, and TOKYO STORY). In addition I've seen LATE AUTUMN.

As for Mizoguchi, SANSHO was enjoyable but I'm not going to purchase it. The standard for me is if I liked a movie enough, I'll buy it. While I did enjoy SANSHO, I just don't envision myself viewing it multiple times. Other than Kurosawa, the 3 Japanese movies that have influenced me the most recently are JIGOKU, HARAKIRI, and ONIBABA. Has anyone else ever seen JIGOKU? That's also in my Top 10 Japanese list.