GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 303 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,851
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,479
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,530
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,436
Posts1,060,964
Members10,349
Most Online992
Jun 1st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 237 of 319 1 2 235 236 237 238 239 318 319
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: Irishman12] #405167
06/21/07 05:05 PM
06/21/07 05:05 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
PURSUIT OF HAPPYNESS (2006)

I saw this on dvd last night. I enjoyed it but did Will Smith really deserve an Oscar nomination? I guess it was a weak year.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: pizzaboy] #405177
06/21/07 05:31 PM
06/21/07 05:31 PM
Gateshead, UK
Capo de La Cosa Nostra Offline
Capo de La Cosa Nostra  Offline

Gateshead, UK
Irish, see Ran as soon as possible. I think it's Kurosawa's most astonishing film.

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #405180
06/21/07 05:35 PM
06/21/07 05:35 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline OP
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline OP
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
I've seen it once and yes, I need a second viewing soon. It's on the list as well.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: pizzaboy] #405194
06/21/07 06:02 PM
06/21/07 06:02 PM
New York
Sicilian Babe Offline
Sicilian Babe  Offline

New York
 Originally Posted By: pizzaboy

I saw this on dvd last night. I enjoyed it but did Will Smith really deserve an Oscar nomination? I guess it was a weak year.

I haven't seen it yet, but did read the book. He's an amazing man. I understand that the movie didn't go into his childhood at all. It should have, because it made his commitment to his son even more astonishing. He was so violently and repeatedly abused by his stepfather, his mother was in prison, and to be such a good dad, having had no example! To be homeless and become a millionaire defies odds, but to be a good parent after an abusive childhood is just as unusual!

President Emeritus of the Neal Pulcawer Fan Club
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: Sicilian Babe] #405196
06/21/07 06:04 PM
06/21/07 06:04 PM
Throggs Neck
pizzaboy Offline
The Fuckin Doctor
pizzaboy  Offline
The Fuckin Doctor

Throggs Neck
I actually just picked up the book today, SB!

While researching online, I found out that alot of liberties were taken with the book, so I want to read it.

I'll let you know.

"I got news for you. If it wasn't for the toilet, there would be no books." --- George Costanza.
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: pizzaboy] #405278
06/21/07 10:46 PM
06/21/07 10:46 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
I actually just picked up the book today, SB!

While researching online, I found out that alot of liberties were taken with the book, so I want to read it.

I'll let you know.

Was this before or after you requested that prison movies thread? ;\)

Hey Irish, check this review of the FANTASTIC FOUR sequel out from a buddy of mine: Adam Jahnke over at the Bits:

"When I was a kid, I read both Fantastic Four and Silver Surfer comics and liked them quite a bit. After sitting through two FF movies, the latest of which features the Surfer, I can’t for the life of me remember what I enjoyed about them. And that may be the worst thing you can say about any movie adaptation. It actually makes you forget what you liked about the source material in the first place. This time around, Reed and Sue are about to become Mr. and Mrs. Fantastic when the ceremony is interrupted by the appearance of the Silver Surfer in the skies over Manhattan. The Torch goes after him only to have his ass handed back, which results in some trouble with his powers later on. Meanwhile, Dr. Doom is back and wants to get his hands on the Surfer’s Power Cosmic, while everybody else just wants to prevent Earth from being devoured by Galactus, a big cosmic cloud that if you squint and tilt your head just so, bears a vague resemblance to its comic book counterpart in certain shots. To be fair, I had exactly the same reaction to Rise as I did to the first Four. This is no better and no worse than the original movie. The problems are still pretty much the same. The visual effects are still a mixed bag, with Mr. Fantastic and the ever-lovin’ blue-eyed Thing coming across the worst and the Surfer looking pretty good. The cast, including Ioan Gruffudd, Jessica Alba and Julian McMahon, are almost uniformly bland, better suited to a Fantastic Four soap opera than a movie. McMahon is a particular liability. His character needs to be eliminated immediately so the real Dr.. Doom can show up on screen someday. Only Chris Evans as Johnny Storm registers anything even close to enthusiasm for the gig. It’s kind of cool seeing the Silver Surfer on screen but really, it’s not a great character to build a movie around. Stories about somber, philosophical aliens who ride surfboards through the cosmos are a little easier to take seriously in comics, if indeed you’re able to take it seriously at all. Now I know what defenders of this movie will say. It’s aimed at kids, lighten up. I readily acknowledge that the Fantastic Four movies are geared toward younger audiences and I actually applaud Fox for that decision. We certainly don’t need anymore “dark” superhero movies. But the old FF cartoon that replaced the Human Torch with H.E.R.B.I.E. the robot was aimed at kids, too. That didn’t mean it was any good. (* *)"

ZING!

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: pizzaboy] #405290
06/22/07 12:06 AM
06/22/07 12:06 AM
My own world.
whisper Offline
Underboss
whisper  Offline
Underboss
My own world.

I think he deserved a nomination.Also i enjoyed this film alot.

The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero uses his fear, projects it onto his opponent, while the coward runs. It's the same thing, fear, but it's what you do with it that matters. Cus D'Amato
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: whisper] #405295
06/22/07 12:16 AM
06/22/07 12:16 AM
24framespersecond Offline
Made Member
24framespersecond  Offline
Made Member
Irishman12, I got to say that you probably have the widest and unpredictable range of taste in movies. That's a compliment, by the way.

Going by some of your reviews, I would've never guessed you would like an Ozu or Mizoguchi film. I know people whose favorites are much like yours and they were bored by an Ozu film.

Harakiri is fantastic. It's in the highest category of classics.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: pizzaboy] #405314
06/22/07 01:32 AM
06/22/07 01:32 AM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline OP
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline OP
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro

It was. The nominees were:

-Leonardo DiCaprio (BLOOD DIAMOND)
-Ryan Gosling (HALF NELSON)
-Peter O'Toole (VENUS)
-Will Smith (THE PURSUIT OF HAPPYNESS)
-Forest Whitaker (THE LAST KING OF SCOTLAND)

Forest Whitaker was easily the runaway favorite. Personally, I wouldn't of minded seeing Will's nomination go to either Leonardo DiCaprio for THE DEPARTED or to Aaron Eckhart for THANK YOU FOR SMOKING.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: 24framespersecond] #405320
06/22/07 01:39 AM
06/22/07 01:39 AM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline OP
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline OP
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
 Originally Posted By: 24framespersecond
Irishman12, I got to say that you probably have the widest and unpredictable range of taste in movies. That's a compliment, by the way.

Going by some of your reviews, I would've never guessed you would like an Ozu or Mizoguchi film. I know people whose favorites are much like yours and they were bored by an Ozu film.

Harakiri is fantastic. It's in the highest category of classics.

Well thank you, I do appreciate that (and Capo's even mentioned it too). Recently, I've had this passion for Japanese classic films. Basically, any Japanese movie that the Criterion Collection puts out on DVD, I'll watch it. Ozu isn't my favorite Japanese director but I do enjoy his work. His films are drama pieces and I find them a little slow with not a lot of suspense/tension to keep me entertained, however ever film of his that I've seen, I've enjoyed. I've viewed his "Noriko Trilogy" (LATE SPRING, EARLY SUMMER, and TOKYO STORY). In addition I've seen LATE AUTUMN.

As for Mizoguchi, SANSHO was enjoyable but I'm not going to purchase it. The standard for me is if I liked a movie enough, I'll buy it. While I did enjoy SANSHO, I just don't envision myself viewing it multiple times. Other than Kurosawa, the 3 Japanese movies that have influenced me the most recently are JIGOKU, HARAKIRI, and ONIBABA. Has anyone else ever seen JIGOKU? That's also in my Top 10 Japanese list.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: Irishman12] #405324
06/22/07 01:49 AM
06/22/07 01:49 AM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline OP
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline OP
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
THE AVENGERS 1/2
(Third Viewing)

British Ministry agent John Steed (Ralph Fiennes), under direction from "Mother", investigates a diabolical plot by arch-villain Sir August de Wynter (Sean Connery) to rule the world with his weather control machine. Steed investigates the beautiful Doctor Mrs. Emma Peel (Uma Thurman), the only suspect, but simultaneously falls for her and joins forces with her to combat Sir August.

The biggest problem I find with this film was the script. It was incredibly weak. Connery's character I felt wasn't fully developed by the end, which by that point, was already a mess. The climax of the film had zero affect on me. I didn't hardly care about the characters, their mission or their "revenge." How Ralph Fiennes, Uma Thurma, and Sean Connery got talked into doing this picture is beyond me. I've never seen the original T.V. series so I'm not a diehard fan who's pissed that they officially f*cked the original series with this garbage (and subsequently, discouraged younger views from potentially seeing the original show). The only positive I came away with from this film was how delectable Uma Thurman looked. I mean wow \:o 1997 and 1998 were the years where I first started to notice Uma in BATMAN & ROBIN and THE AVENGERS. Note, I wasn't into PULP FICTION or first see it until later on.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: Irishman12] #405335
06/22/07 04:47 AM
06/22/07 04:47 AM
24framespersecond Offline
Made Member
24framespersecond  Offline
Made Member
 Originally Posted By: Irishman12
Well thank you, I do appreciate that (and Capo's even mentioned it too). Recently, I've had this passion for Japanese classic films. Basically, any Japanese movie that the Criterion Collection puts out on DVD, I'll watch it. Ozu isn't my favorite Japanese director but I do enjoy his work. His films are drama pieces and I find them a little slow with not a lot of suspense/tension to keep me entertained, however ever film of his that I've seen, I've enjoyed. I've viewed his "Noriko Trilogy" (LATE SPRING, EARLY SUMMER, and TOKYO STORY). In addition I've seen LATE AUTUMN.

As for Mizoguchi, SANSHO was enjoyable but I'm not going to purchase it. The standard for me is if I liked a movie enough, I'll buy it. While I did enjoy SANSHO, I just don't envision myself viewing it multiple times. Other than Kurosawa, the 3 Japanese movies that have influenced me the most recently are JIGOKU, HARAKIRI, and ONIBABA. Has anyone else ever seen JIGOKU? That's also in my Top 10 Japanese list.

Yeah, Ozu's stuff that's available on Region 1-DVD has a calmness. It's like Miles Davis' Kind Of Blue. He has darker stuff like Tokyo Twilight and Early Spring. But, he has other funny stuff like Good Morning complete with farts. Blockbuster might have his silent comedy on VHS, I Was Born, But... - the original for Good Morning. (So much for the wholesale graveness stereotype of Ozu.)

As for Mizoguchi, you might like Ugetsu better than Sansho given your affinity for Onibaba and interest in Kwaidan.

Have you seen Sword Of Doom yet? That's a thrilling watch. I trust that you've seen all the other samurai Criterions: Kill!, Samurai Rebellion, Sword Of The Beast, Samurai Spy, Samurai I, Samurai II, Samurai III. Some are great all the way through; some are patchy with great moments.

Samurai Assassin is great, too. Not Criterion.

Of course, given your Kill Bill love, you've seen Shogun Assassin?.

For transgressive Yakuza-gangster stuff, you always can check out more Seijun Suzuki (especially Fighting Elegy and Youth Of The Beast) and Kinji Fukusaku (especially Fukusaku's mammoth The Yakuza Papers).

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: 24framespersecond] #405398
06/22/07 11:10 AM
06/22/07 11:10 AM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline OP
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline OP
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
Yeah, Ozu's stuff that's available on Region 1-DVD has a calmness. It's like Miles Davis' Kind Of Blue. He has darker stuff like Tokyo Twilight and Early Spring. But, he has other funny stuff like Good Morning complete with farts. Blockbuster might have his silent comedy on VHS, I Was Born, But... - the original for Good Morning. (So much for the wholesale graveness stereotype of Ozu.)

A year or 2 ago, Blockbuster did away with all of their old VHS tapes except for Kids and Family because they rent so well. That's another reason why I think the online thing has been so successful (the SELECTION!)

As for Mizoguchi, you might like Ugetsu better than Sansho given your affinity for Onibaba and interest in Kwaidan.

I have both UGETSU and KWAIDAN on my list and I'm looking forward to them

Have you seen Sword Of Doom yet? That's a thrilling watch. I trust that you've seen all the other samurai Criterions: Kill!, Samurai Rebellion, Sword Of The Beast, Samurai Spy, Samurai I, Samurai II, Samurai III. Some are great all the way through; some are patchy with great moments.

Yes, I own SWORD OF DOOM, SAMURAI I, SAMURAI II, and SAMURAI III on DVD. I didn't like KILL! and SAMURAI REBELLION after 1 viewing but I'm trying to watch them again and Blockbuster Online doesn't have them for some reason \:\( I haven't seen SWORD OF THE BEAST yet but it's on the list as well

Of course, given your Kill Bill love, you've seen Shogun Assassin?.

Yes, I own the entire LONE WOLF AND CUB series

For transgressive Yakuza-gangster stuff, you always can check out more Seijun Suzuki (especially Fighting Elegy and Youth Of The Beast) and Kinji Fukusaku (especially Fukusaku's mammoth The Yakuza Papers).

I haven't seen too many Yakuza films but I do have Sydney Pollack's 1974 film THE YAKUZA on the list as well.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Since we've been discussing Japanese cinema at great lengths here recently, I've complied (as best I can with the resources I have available to me) my Top 10 All-Time Japanese Films:

1) RASHOMON
2) JIGOKU
3) HARAKIRI
4) ONIBABA
5) LADY SNOWBLOOD
6) The LONE WOLF AND CUB series
7) THRONE OF BLOOD
8) YOJIMBO
9) SANJURO
10) SWORD OF DOOM

And my own personal All-Time Top 10 list is:

1) SCARFACE
2) KILL BILL VOLUME 2
3) RAGING BULL
4) GOODFELLAS
5) THE GODFATHER
6) THE USUAL SUSPECTS
7) JFK
8) SCHINDLER'S LIST
9) FIGHT CLUB
10) MEMENTO

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: Irishman12] #405637
06/23/07 03:12 AM
06/23/07 03:12 AM
New Jersey, USA
J Geoff Offline
The Don
J Geoff  Offline
The Don

New Jersey, USA
I could write about these for a long time, but it's late. And I'm sure tomorrow I'll be too busy.... but here are some short comments (as usual for me)...

My last 3 NetFlix rentals were Pacino projects even I've never seen before (!)

(1) The Panic In Needle Park - I thought Al was wonderful! Maybe cuz it was just great to see a young Al again for the first time -- in his first major motion picture. I was entertained. ***

(2) The Local Stigmatic - I've enjoyed plays, I like them. But I just didn't *get* this one. A bit haphazard to me, and not that enjoyable - despite watching it twice (back-to-back, once with commentary) **

(3) Chinese Coffee - Holy crap! After Stigmatic I was prepared for another artfuck dud, but I LOVED THIS!!! On many levels it hit home (for me), so perhaps that's why it worked for me. Probably the best theater/film movie I've seen in years! If you're any type of "artist type", then rent this one - now! 5-stars (BTW, there is plenty "wrong" with it, Al directed -- but I'm talking about the brilliant writing \:p )

I studied Italian for 2 semesters. Not once was a "C" pronounced as a "G", and never was a trailing "I" ignored! And I'm from Jersey! tongue lol

Whaddaya want me to do? Whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? --Peter Griffin

My DVDs | Facebook | Godfather Filming Locations
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: J Geoff] #405638
06/23/07 04:27 AM
06/23/07 04:27 AM
Yunkai
afsaneh77 Offline
Mother of Dragons
afsaneh77  Offline
Mother of Dragons

Yunkai
Hardly can wait for your next one on your list JG... ;\)

"Fire cannot kill a dragon." -Daenerys Targaryen, Game of Thrones
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: afsaneh77] #405692
06/23/07 12:17 PM
06/23/07 12:17 PM
Existential Well
svsg Offline
Underboss
svsg  Offline
Underboss
Existential Well
This film is not yet rated *
Everyone interested in movies must watch this documentary. Not for its quality, but its content. Very interesting look at the MPAA ratings board and the way it rates the movies, especially NC-17. The film maker has put in a lot of work to expose (you will understand when you see the movie) the board members. It features a lot of interviews with film makers whose movies were rated NC-17. LLC, with your hatred for MPAA, this documentary will either give you a massive orgasm or a fatal heart attack \:\)

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: svsg] #405693
06/23/07 12:18 PM
06/23/07 12:18 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
 Originally Posted By: svsg
Everyone interested in movies must watch this documentary. Not for its quality, but its content. Very interesting look at the MPAA ratings board and the way it rates the movies, especially NC-17. The film maker has put in a lot of work to expose (you will understand when you see the movie) the board members. It features a lot of interviews with film makers whose movies were rated NC-17. LLC, with your hatred for MPAA, this documentary will either give you a massive orgasm or a fatal heart attack \:\)

There is a reason why many in Hollywood toasted when Jack Valenti croaked.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: svsg] #405701
06/23/07 12:44 PM
06/23/07 12:44 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline OP
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline OP
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro

I've wanted to watch this too but haven't been able to get a hold of it \:\/

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: Irishman12] #405704
06/23/07 12:52 PM
06/23/07 12:52 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee

With the miracle of the internet...whats your excuse?

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: Irishman12] #405710
06/23/07 01:09 PM
06/23/07 01:09 PM
Existential Well
svsg Offline
Underboss
svsg  Offline
Underboss
Existential Well

Netflix is one of the co-producers of the movie. I haven't checked their website, but I believe they should have it. Ask one of your friends who has netflix. btw, one of the interviewees mentions that the main problem behind the NC-17 rating is that the mainstream video stores won't stock it. This includes walmart and blockbuster. I have mixed opinions about ratings. Though the obvious lack of uniform standards is worrisome, but I think ratings are a good idea. The blame must be shifted to big corporations like blockbuster who won't stock them. When they can sell cigarettes, beer and wine in Walmart for those who have ID, why not NC-17 movies. It doesn't necessarily mean harmful or perverted, it is just for adults!

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: svsg] #405714
06/23/07 01:14 PM
06/23/07 01:14 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee

Netflix is one of the co-producers of the movie. I haven't checked their website, but I believe they should have it. Ask one of your friends who has netflix. btw, one of the interviewees mentions that the main problem behind the NC-17 rating is that the mainstream video stores won't stock it. This includes walmart and blockbuster. I have mixed opinions about ratings. Though the obvious lack of uniform standards is worrisome, but I think ratings are a good idea. The blame must be shifted to big corporations like blockbuster who won't stock them. When they can sell cigarettes, beer and wine in Walmart for those who have ID, why not NC-17 movies. It doesn't necessarily mean harmful or perverted, it is just for adults!

No, I blame the hypocrisy of the MPAA who are more favorable for big studio movies than for smaller movies.

I mean, if some indies get slashed hard for any nudity, but SCARY MOVIE has a giant COCK through a glory hole and slapped with a R....what gives?

Oh and COCKBUSTER can fuck off. There is nothing redeeming about that shithole corporation.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #405835
06/23/07 09:30 PM
06/23/07 09:30 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline OP
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline OP
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
TRAFFIC 1/2
(Third Viewing)

A modern day look at America's war on drugs told through four separate stories that are connected in one way or another. A conservative politician who's just been appointed as the US drug czar learns that his daughter is a drug addict. A trophy wife struggles to save her husband's drug business, while two DEA agents protect a witness with inside knowledge of the spouse's business. In Mexico, a corrupt, yet dedicated cop struggles with his conscience when he learns that his new boss may not be the anti-drug official he made himself out to be.

Steven Soderbergh's, Mr. Ocean's himself, masterpiece gets the Criterion treatment and for good reason. I really enjoyed his use of color, especially the blue when dealing with Michael Douglas' character or a member of his family. Also, the scenes in Mexico were excellent because of their rawness/realism. However, what I enjoyed most from this film was the cast (particularily the Hispanic cast). As much as I love Benicio Del Toro, he's one of my favorite actors, I don't think he deserved the Best Supporting Actor for this role. In 2000, I would have given it to Joaquin Phoenix for his work in GLADIATOR. However, I would have given it to Benicio 3 years later for his work in 21 GRAMS.

Other great hispanic cast members were: Tomas Milian, Clifton Collins Jr., Benjamin Bratt, and Salma Hayek for her one day of shooting. Did anyone else think Catherine Zeta-Jones fit perfectly into this role and didn't need to act too much out of her personality? Also Topher Grace was funny as the smart a$$ who always has an answer or opinion on anything. I was rather disappointed to see that Erika Christensen didn't get an Oscar nomination. I really felt this was probably the best work I've seen from her and was overlooked for whatever reason.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: Irishman12] #405869
06/24/07 01:56 AM
06/24/07 01:56 AM
Existential Well
svsg Offline
Underboss
svsg  Offline
Underboss
Existential Well
I too like the color filters used in Traffic, though it is a little too obvious.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: svsg] #405870
06/24/07 02:00 AM
06/24/07 02:00 AM
Existential Well
svsg Offline
Underboss
svsg  Offline
Underboss
Existential Well
Lucky You *

You can watch it for Robert Duvall or the pretty looking Drew Barrymore. Nothing great, a feel good movie with father-son relationship as its main theme. It would help you enjoy this movie better if you knew Poker rules. I don't, but it didn't matter all that much.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: svsg] #406023
06/24/07 11:25 AM
06/24/07 11:25 AM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline OP
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline OP
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
GATE OF FLESH 1/2
(First Viewing)

After World War II, some Tokyo prostitutes band together with a strict code: no pimps, attack any street walker who comes into our territory, defend the abandoned building we call home, and punish whomever gives away sex (who falls in love). Maya, a young woman whose family has died, joins the group. Into the mix comes Shin, a thief who's killed a G.I. The women allow him to hide while recovering from wounds, but then he won't leave. Maya is drawn to him, discovering as she falls in love that she can feel again; she's now more fully human, but at the same time, she's endangered herself and her livelihood. Can she and Shin make it out of Tokyo to establish life as a couple?

2 things impressed me the most with this film: pacing and dual images. This seemed like the fastest Japanese movie I've ever seen in my life. As soon as the title of the film comes on screen, the audience is thrown into the whirlwind of post-war Tokyo with no regard for credits, story build-up, character introduction, etc. Secondly and what I enjoyed more were the duel images on screen. A character would be onscreen to the right and on the left side, an image of another character off screen would suddenly appear so the audience could see his/her reaction to a situation. Satoko Kasai also did a fine job as the group's leader. Other than these, nothing really impressed me with this film and it seems to be the weakest from some of the other Japanese films I've viewed recently.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: Irishman12] #406066
06/24/07 03:54 PM
06/24/07 03:54 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline OP
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline OP
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
KING KONG (1976)
(First Viewing)

An expedition of the "Petrox" company, is exploring in search of petrol. A strange island where they arrive is the home of a giant ape, King Kong, that is captured by the expedition in order to make money exhibiting it to the world.

What a tragedy! They took an American classic with an iconic cineamatic ending and totally pissed all over it. The first mistake was using the World Trade Center instead of the Empire State Building. I'm guessing it was used because it was finally completed just 3 years earlier in 1973. Regardless, this was just one of the many faults with this film. Secondly, they brought on John Guillermin whose resume includes SHAFT IN AFRICA! At least the 1933 and 2005 versions of KONG were entertaining and had some suspense/action. This film was a complete snoozefest.
Warning, Spoiler:
Kong only fights 1 snake on Skull Island! \:o What's up with that?? No T-Rex battles or something similar?
I thought the 2005 version of a KONG was a love story, this film tried too hard to be such. I like some of Charles Grodin's work but he didn't do a good job at all at this versions "Carl Denham" aka Fred Wilson. I'll give more credit to Peter Jackson now for staying as close as possible to the original and not diminishing its memory.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: Irishman12] #406070
06/24/07 04:37 PM
06/24/07 04:37 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
KING KONG (1976)
(First Viewing)

An expedition of the "Petrox" company, is exploring in search of petrol. A strange island where they arrive is the home of a giant ape, King Kong, that is captured by the expedition in order to make money exhibiting it to the world.

What a tragedy! They took an American classic with an iconic cineamatic ending and totally pissed all over it. The first mistake was using the World Trade Center instead of the Empire State Building. I'm guessing it was used because it was finally completed just 3 years earlier in 1973. Regardless, this was just one of the many faults with this film. Secondly, they brought on John Guillermin whose resume includes SHAFT IN AFRICA! At least the 1933 and 2005 versions of KONG were entertaining and had some suspense/action. This film was a complete snoozefest.
Warning, Spoiler:
Kong only fights 1 snake on Skull Island! \:o What's up with that?? No T-Rex battles or something similar?
I thought the 2005 version of a KONG was a love story, this film tried too hard to be such. I like some of Charles Grodin's work but he didn't do a good job at all at this versions "Carl Denham" aka Fred Wilson. I'll give more credit to Peter Jackson now for staying as close as possible to the original and not diminishing its memory.

A good idea next time is to break up your review into paragraphs.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #406074
06/24/07 05:14 PM
06/24/07 05:14 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
BREACH (2007) - **1/2

You know, when the DATELINE special on the film's subject is more informative, more exciting, and rather more intriging than the film itself, thats when you've fouled up.

Director Billy Ray can't decide which character is worth investigating more in the dramatic sense: Chris Cooper as the traitor FBI Agent or Ryan Phillipe the rookie agent trying to entrap him.

Yet if BREACH fails, its not that Ray fails totally or is incompetent in the Michael Bay style. There is some things in BREACH that I liked, from a key scene where both characters do share the bond of living a life on the glass house of lies, to that of the ending, which reminds me of Alan Parker's elevator ride down to hell in ANGEL HEART.

In a way, BREACH fails like Danny Devito's HOFFA did. How can such fascinating true-life stories be shot as absolutely mundane stiff cinema tales? Though unlike DeVito, Billy Ray might have a future if he can get his act together.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #406332
06/25/07 11:31 AM
06/25/07 11:31 AM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline OP
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline OP
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
THE TWILIGHT SAMURAI 1/2
(First Viewing)

Seibei Iguchi, a low-ranking samurai, leads a life without glory as a bureaucrat in the mid-XIX century Japan. A widower, he has charge of two daughters (whom he adores) and a senile mother; he must therefore work in the fields and accept piecework to make ends meet. New prospects seem to open up when Tomoe, his long-time love, divorces a brutal husband. However, even as the Japanese feudal system is unraveling, Seibei remains bound by the code of honour of the samurai and by his own sense of social precedences. The consequences are cruel.

I'm not quite sure what I was expecting from this film but it wasn't it. I thought, by the title, it was going to be an action movie. Far from it. It's a touching drama film that was very slow paced. Rie Miyazawa was interesting as the main character's love interest but other than that, this is an easily forgetable movie.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: Irishman12] #406401
06/25/07 12:57 PM
06/25/07 12:57 PM
Gateshead, UK
Capo de La Cosa Nostra Offline
Capo de La Cosa Nostra  Offline

Gateshead, UK
If a drama is touching, Irish, how can be easily forgettable?

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?
Page 237 of 319 1 2 235 236 237 238 239 318 319

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull