Originally Posted By: svsg

Breathless is the only Godardd movie I have seen. I didn't find anything special in it. I remember DVC pointing out that this movie was dealing with Americanization of France or something to that effect. I won't argue about its social significance, but as a plain movie, it didn't do anything special for me.

I think Breathless is considered a milestone not due to its content or what it was dealing with, but because of the editing used in this film. It was revolutionary. All these short cuts you see, the philosophy behind it that you should only see what is necesssary. If there's a scene in which someone is walking in the street, enters a building, go up the stairs and then knock on the door - - - the new philosophy says it's a waste of time. Show him in the street for a second, on the stairs for another second, then cut to him standing in front of the door. The "in between" is severely cut. That technique was hardly used before. Some thought it was just lazyness on Godard's part, some held it as a revolutionary method, and it did started in a way the french revolution and influenced many other films.

If anything, I think it established the notion that the role of the editor is no less important, and sometimes just as important as that of the director.

Anyway, back to those 15 films:

"Come out and take it, you dirty, yellow-bellied rat, or I'll give it to you through the door!"

- James Cagney in "Taxi!" (1932)