Originally posted by olivant:
Like most of you, I hope I die while watching the GFI. But I have to chime in about what I consider to be the denoument of our Nation's morality. There is no good reason to have shown Apollonia's breasts and for Sonny to say what he did about Micahel's anatomy. The TCM's is, for all practial purposes, a broadcast channel. It was unnecessary. Thos two scenes, if altered, take nothing away from the grandeur of the GF. I'm sure many of you will disagree, so let's hear it!
OK, I work in the media and these indecency/obscenity issues that have reared their ugly heads since Janet Jackson are driving me up the wall. But I'll try to keep this short.

First of all, TCM is not at all a broadcast channel. People choose to pay to bring it into their homes. If they feel they cannot handle a split second of breast and an anatomical reference at 9:30pm, they can cancel cable and put the rabbit ears back on the TV.

Secondly, it always struck me as somewhat ironic that the same politicians who play the morality card when Godfather or Schindler's List is aired uncut also generally support policies deny people health care, kill innocent civilians, restrict civil liberties, etc. I guess that stuff is OK, but if a nipple isn't pixellated than the America is suddenly Sodom.

"A man in my position cannot afford to be made to look ridiculous!"