Originally posted by AppleOnYa:
Originally posted by Turnbull:
[b] ...The Saga version is far and away the best version, for the reasons Fame said.
Actually, that's a matter of opinion. While it's always wonderful to see the 'deleted scenes' that have found a home in 'The Saga'...I've always felt that the modern-day Michael Corleone scenes from GFII lose a great deal of impact without the intermittent scenes of Vito's youth and rise to power.

So, while it's true the Saga is a great gift and a joy to watch...it is not necessarily the BEST version.

Apple [/b]
I agree that its a matter of opinion. I also think that people who grew up watching GF II as it is are more than likely to continue and love the way they used to watch it no matter what other versions come up. As for me, I actually started with the saga, and I watched it 20 times before I saw the original films, so its easier for me to prefer the saga. I first saw the saga not knowing that Im watching a rare version with lots of deleted scenes, so then when I saw the originals, I kinda felt like "where the hell is this and that great scene"... I gotta tell you, its not the chronological order which made me love it more- its the inclusion of all those scenes, it just feels wrong to see them seperated with that extra DVD.

But heres what I really like to talk about. Apple has raised a good question here. GF II without the Vito scenes, in my opinion, would not have gotten half the critical acclaim. I honestly dont think ppl would've called it a masterpiece without the Vito scenes. Surely, we GF nuts have grown to love and appreciate the modern day scenes, but from my own experience of showing the third part of the saga to other ppl (which is GF2 without the vito scenes) - ppl just dont like it as much as the other parts of the saga. What Im trying to say, is that if GFII was released without the Vito scenes , it would certainly be considered a good film, but one which appeals to smaller audience, unlike GF1.

FFC was brilliant.
Why?
Because the blending of scenes is a piece of work?
Or maybe the blending itself is not a piece of work, but the decision to do it?
Sure, we all like to see the scenes mixed up in GF2, its a joy. My question is, are there really any links between them or are they just scattered about? Ive been trying many times to fathom those links but each time I fail. I tend to believe that the real brilliance is not in the mixing itself but in FFC's mind. I think he knew those modern scenes are "weaker" (again not in quality--but in their appeal to the big audience)--and so, knowing the Vito scenes are the big hit, he didnt want the film to start off with a bang and then lose its momentum (or vice versa)
FFC's brilliant decision was to blend the Vito scenes in order to balance the film and keep it on a "high" level throughout its 3 hours.
Thats of course just my opinion, you can all feel free to disagree.
And just to make it clear - I do not prefer the Vito scenes over the modern day scenes. I love them equally. But I can definitely see them as the major "attraction" in GF2, hence FFC's brilliant decision.

I actually started a thread long time ago trying to decipher those links between the past and present scenes. I'll give you the link and I actually do hope that you'll prove me wrong by finding those links. the replies in the thread only mention the greatness of the mix, but they do not explain the actual links, if there are any. Dontom's reply was very interesting, but they are links between GF1 and GF2, nor are they direct--Im asking for links between GF2 Vito--to GF2 Michael--from one scene to the next/previous.
Heres the link:

http://www.gangsterbb.net/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=005146#000000

"Come out and take it, you dirty, yellow-bellied rat, or I'll give it to you through the door!"

- James Cagney in "Taxi!" (1932)