GangsterBB.NET

Funko Pop! Movies:
The Godfather 50th Anniversary Collectors Set -
3 Figure Set: Michael, Vito, Sonny

Who's Online Now
3 registered members (mike68, VanillaLimeCoke, 1 invisible), 457 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box
Site Links
>Help Page
>More Smilies
>GBB on Facebook
>Job Saver

>Godfather Website
>Scarface Website
>Mario Puzo Website
NEW!
Active Member Birthdays
No birthdays today
Newest Members
TheGhost, Pumpkin, RussianCriminalWorld, JohnnyTheBat, Havana
10349 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
Irishman12 67,851
DE NIRO 44,945
J Geoff 31,286
Hollander 24,462
pizzaboy 23,296
SC 22,902
Turnbull 19,530
Mignon 19,066
Don Cardi 18,238
Sicilian Babe 17,300
plawrence 15,058
Forum Statistics
Forums21
Topics42,436
Posts1,060,948
Members10,349
Most Online992
Yesterday at 04:40 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 231 of 319 1 2 229 230 231 232 233 318 319
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: Irishman12] #397314
06/01/07 04:47 PM
06/01/07 04:47 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
 Originally Posted By: Irishman12
 Originally Posted By: ronnierocketAGO
 Originally Posted By: DonVitoCorleone
Just a bad film overall. Fight Club was so much better. And I'd like to see Se7en too.

I agree with you that FIGHT CLUB and SE7EN were better films than ZODIAC. However, I didn't find it to be horrible. I'd place it 3rd on my list for the best films of 2007 thus far (it's been pretty lackluster to me)

1) GRINDHOUSE
2) 300
3) ZODIAC

Just because FIGHT CLUB and SE7EN are better films(hell, I have ZODIAC and FIGHT CLUB share the same rating) doesn't make ZODIAC any less brilliant.

Its logic like this why I hate the NEW YORK TIMES. If a new movie from a proclaimed master isn't as good as his best works, it sucks. What retarded bullshit.

I didn't say ZODIAC wasn't any less brilliant. I simply said I preferred FIGHT CLUB and SE7EVN rather than this movie and it was my 3rd favorite of 2007. Where did I say it was any less brilliant?

No but you wrote it like as good as ZODIAC is as a film, its nothing to those others...and that tone of writing annoys me. Its fanboy review-writing that clogs up AICN and IMDB.

Why not simply just say its another damn good/great movie from Fincher? I mean, tone is everything in reviews.

Besides, FANTASTIC FOUR is funny? I already question your KNOCKED UP review, since what comedy is funny to you if FF is funny to you? I don't trust you with comedy.

BUG (2006) - ****

Irish will hate this movie. I'm sure talking about it to his Blockbuster co-workers, he says how boring it is, how not scary it is, and how nothing interesting happens. Then he sees me typing all of this, and he then writes of how he likes the movie, or how smart critics dug the movie.

Better yet, if Taratino and the media go ape for it, he'll follow suite.

Hey fathersson, ease up on the loving. As his signature, you've always got me in mind. For you're information, I've never seen BUG and I no longer work at Blockbuster. Come back with some new material you broken record

Okay, here is a new one.
22-29 - 4th place - AL East \:D

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: svsg] #397316
06/01/07 04:52 PM
06/01/07 04:52 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
 Originally Posted By: svsg
 Originally Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra

I see also a lot of visual worth in Zodiac. Didn't you notice the subtle change in cinematography as we moved through the decades. Compare the colour and lighting in some of the early scenes to the late scenes. If that isn't attention to period and detail and/or visual authenticity, I don't know what is.

I don't know how you call that attention to period. I am not saying that there wasn't any, but I couldn't find any and you haven't pointed out any. In my review I wrote about the yellow filter. I actually thought it was cool, but yellow filter alone won't make it different period. It is like using sepia/BW or some coarse grain film. I never thought about this point till now. How do films get away with that? Isn't it just a clever gimmick? Note that I do usually fall for that gimmick and appreciate it, but maybe I will start paying attention to this aspect from now on. I don't know if there was really any change in the way American towns looked in that particular span of twenty years, but I would speculate that they did. Ddi the movie bring out that difference? I can't recall. I noticed that he did stretch the film very long just to give us the feeling that a lot of time has passed by and nothing happened. But visual setting? I am not so convinced. Please educate me.

I think Capo was refering to the fact that its subtle touches of the visuals for different periods in the film's timeline....I mean, its the little devil details like that why Fincher is a master.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #397317
06/01/07 04:55 PM
06/01/07 04:55 PM
Gateshead, UK
Capo de La Cosa Nostra Offline
Capo de La Cosa Nostra  Offline

Gateshead, UK
svsg, I'm not tech-savvy for this kind of stuff, but I think Zodiac accomplished two things, visually: overall and throughout, it looked like a Fincher film. Smooth, slick pans and tracks, eliminating the limitations of space (by crabbing through walls, etc.) - note the birdseye-view shot of the taxi, which was very neat, I dunno how he did it. Secondly, depending on which decade it was, I thought, as well as looking like Fincher (in visual style), it evoked that decade (in terms of visual feel). The sixties, seventies and eighties portions all looked very subtly different. It wasn't as obvious as Scorsese's same technique in The Aviator, though, probably because changes in look weren't as obvious in the 60s-80s as in the 30s-50s.

Not only did Zodiac have period detail in terms of mise-en-scene (props, locations, fashions and clothing, etc.) but the way in which it was filmed, too. It's a very self-reflexive film.

Last edited by Capo de La Cosa Nostra; 06/01/07 04:57 PM.

...dot com bold typeface rhetoric.
You go clickety click and get your head split.
'The hell you look like on a message board
Discussing whether or not the Brother is hardcore?
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #397319
06/01/07 05:03 PM
06/01/07 05:03 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
svsg, I'm not tech-savvy for this kind of stuff, but I think Zodiac accomplished two things, visually: overall and throughout, it looked like a Fincher film. Smooth, slick pans and tracks, eliminating the limitations of space (by crabbing through walls, etc.) - note the birdseye-view shot of the taxi, which was very neat, I dunno how he did it. Secondly, depending on which decade it was, I thought, as well as looking like Fincher (in visual style), it evoked that decade (in terms of visual feel). The sixties, seventies and eighties portions all looked very subtly different. It wasn't as obvious as Scorsese's same technique in The Aviator, though, probably because changes in look weren't as obvious in the 60s-80s as in the 30s-50s.

Not only did Zodiac have period detail in terms of mise-en-scene (props, locations, fashions and clothing, etc.) but the way in which it was filmed, too. It's a very self-reflexive film.

Same thing as I said.....basically. \:p

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #397320
06/01/07 05:07 PM
06/01/07 05:07 PM
Existential Well
svsg Offline
Underboss
svsg  Offline
Underboss
Existential Well
I am planning to watch zodiac again, but I don't know when I will get a chance.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: svsg] #397348
06/01/07 11:06 PM
06/01/07 11:06 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline OP
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline OP
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
POINT BREAK
(First Viewing)

Johnny Utah (Reeves) is a Special Agent for the FBI. Utah gets partnered with Angelo Pappas (Gary Busey) an experienced agent who is more than committed to his work. The two are asked to investigate the number of robberies committed by a group called the Ex-Presidents, who wears masks of Presidents Reagen, Nixon, Carter and Johnson for their robberies. Pappas has a theory that the Ex-Presidents are a group of surfers, and asks for Utah to go undercover as a surfer. The problem is, Utah couldn't surf to save his life. That plus the two continuously being hassled by unpleasant and rough Agent Harp (McGinley). With the help of Tyler (Petty) a competent female surfer, Utah begins to gain the respect of local surfer Bodhi (Swayze) and his group. Utah forms a close bond with Bodhi, but the relationship between Utah and Bodhi becomes limited when Utah suspects that Bodhi and his group are the Ex-Presidents.

Man I wonder what happened to Patrick Swayze, the man was making a pretty nice life for himself with RED DAWN, ROAD HOUSE and now POINT BREAK on his resume. Then he turned in that GHOST piece of crap and it all went down from there. Also young Keanu Reeves is fresh off his Ted Logan role in Bill & Ted (thank Heavens). My biggest beef with the film was there was too much surfing. I liked the bank robbing and sky diving scenes and wish there was more of that. I felt too much time was wasted on Keanu and Patrick bonding while surfing. Somewhat disappointing (especially since it started out so good) but an enjoyable film nonetheless.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #397349
06/01/07 11:08 PM
06/01/07 11:08 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline OP
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline OP
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro

Hey fathersson, ease up on the loving. As his signature, you've always got me in mind. For you're information, I've never seen BUG and I no longer work at Blockbuster. Come back with some new material you broken record

Okay, here is a new one.

Wow, throwing in the Yankees jokes in a movies thread and it's only June 1st. Pathetic! I've never seen ronnie stoop so low

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: Irishman12] #397361
06/01/07 11:13 PM
06/01/07 11:13 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee

Okay, here is a new one.

Wow, throwing in the Yankees jokes in a movies thread and it's only June 1st. Pathetic! I've never seen ronnie stoop so low

Yeah, I roll my eyes at your lame reply too. For once, we agree.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #397368
06/02/07 12:16 AM
06/02/07 12:16 AM
Existential Well
svsg Offline
Underboss
svsg  Offline
Underboss
Existential Well
North by Northwest ****
One of the best suspense thrillers I have ever seen. Right from the first scene till the end, it has that nail biting tension. The climax is amazing. It seems like Hitchcock carefully plans each of his frames... amazing photography. And as usual his attention to sound is excellent. I have nothing but praises for the film. After Vertigo, this is my favorite Hitchcock movie. Definitely watch it if you haven't.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #397377
06/02/07 02:36 AM
06/02/07 02:36 AM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline OP
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline OP
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
THE HURRICANE
(First Viewing)

This film tells the story of Rubin "Hurricane" Carter, an African-American man who rose above his troubled youth to become a top contender for the middle-weight boxing title. However, his dreams are shattered when he is accused of a triple murder, and is convicted to three natural-life terms. Despite becoming a cause celebre and his dogged efforts to prove his innocence through his autobiography, the years of fruitless efforts have left him discouraged. This changes when an African-American boy and his Canadian mentors read his book and are convinced of his innocence enough to work for his exoneration. However, what Hurricane and his friends learn is that this fight puts them against a racist establishment that profited from this travesty and have no intention of seeing it reversed.

Definitely not Denzel Washington's finest work. He's Denzel Washington so of course he did a fine job but I felt this role for him was a little weak. I've also have never been a fan of Vicellous Reon Shannon's work. He's more of a TV "star" than a movie star. Pretty uneventful throughout except for the last 30 minutes or so, but by then I had lost interest with the film.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: svsg] #397378
06/02/07 02:46 AM
06/02/07 02:46 AM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
North by Northwest ****
One of the best suspense thrillers I have ever seen. Right from the first scene till the end, it has that nail biting tension. The climax is amazing. It seems like Hitchcock carefully plans each of his frames... amazing photography. And as usual his attention to sound is excellent. I have nothing but praises for the film. After Vertigo, this is my favorite Hitchcock movie. Definitely watch it if you haven't.

Yeah, such a wonderfully entertaining popcorn thriller. Glad you loved it man.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #397481
06/02/07 04:27 PM
06/02/07 04:27 PM
DonVitoCorleone Offline
Underboss
DonVitoCorleone  Offline
Underboss
 Quote:
Zodiac is an epic pile of shit.

How am I suppossed to enjoy a film that spends so much time presenting us dialogue that hammers out details of some stupid un-solved case that has no affect on my life or anybody else's?

What a fucking bore.

You've said that twice now, almost word for word. I don't get the "no effect on anybody else's life" part, because I've just given a rave review for it.

Well, the film obviously had an effect on your life. But I'm not talking about the film, I'm specifically talking about the story; the case. Serial killers and unsolved cases don't excite me, especially in a film as bland and lifeless as this one.

Quote:
I don't get comparisons to Haneke, either, since I don't really see a relevant point of discussion between the two - and since you've only seen all of three films by him, I can't see how you would, either. The only way I see a similarity - and it's a vague one - is how both directors have an obvious great deal of pre-planned choreography for their scenes; Haneke more so, though, since his films are decidedly minimalist in terms of editing, and Fincher only for certain set-pieces.

I wasn't comparing Haneke and Fincher head-to-head. Go back and read what I posted. You could easily remove the Haneke part and it'd still make sense.

Quote:
Good Cinema doesn't start and end with Michael Haneke, or what you might term as "art cinema", though.

You got the wrong guy. I don't term anything. A film is a film.

Quote:
I'm (half) interested as to how you might counter my points of praise in my review. How Zodiac is a lesson in subjective verisimilitude - constantly shifting focus and placing the audience into a different character's identity.

Placing the audience into different character's identities? If I remember correctly, most of the film was from Gyllenhaal's point of view.

Quote:
I see also a lot of visual worth in Zodiac. Didn't you notice the subtle change in cinematography as we moved through the decades. Compare the colour and lighting in some of the early scenes to the late scenes. If that isn't attention to period and detail and/or visual authenticity, I don't know what is.

Yeah, I noticed the change in cinematography. So what? I'm all of a sudden suppossed to enjoy the film because Fincher paid great attention to detail?

Quote:
As for the text epilogue, it wasn't so much lazy as economic. The narrative had already served its purpose. How do you wrap up a series of events which are still continuing in real life in mere imagery and dialogue?

You don't make the film in the first place.

Twinkle, twinkle, blah blah...

Last edited by DonVitoCorleone; 06/02/07 04:28 PM.

I dig farmers don't shoot me please!
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: DonVitoCorleone] #397539
06/03/07 07:58 AM
06/03/07 07:58 AM
Gateshead, UK

Gateshead, UK
 Quote:
I wasn't comparing Haneke and Fincher head-to-head. Go back and read what I posted. You could easily remove the Haneke part and it'd still make sense.
Okay...

Quote:
It seemed it like it was trying to be wide open and mysterious like a Haneke film, but it ended up feeling overpolished and just average.
Wide-open and mysterious. Well, it goes to enormous lengths to, if anything, de-mystify the case. It's the opposite to "wide-open", to me. What do you mean by "overpolished"? Slick and smooth? Clean-looking? As opposed to grainy, perhaps, and hand-held? I don't see how being "overpolished" is a bad thing.

Quote:
But a lot of our perceptions about a film's aesthetic is affected by what's actually happening in the film too.
I don't understand this, really. What's your point? Do you mean subject matter, as opposed to a film's style or "form"?

Quote:
Placing the audience into different character's identities? If I remember correctly, most of the film was from Gyllenhaal's point of view.
It isn't, though. The final third is, from the point where he mentions, cleverly, that he's thinking of writing a book (the one which we see sold on shelves later in the film, and the one from which the film is adapted).

Quote:
Yeah, I noticed the change in cinematography. So what? I'm all of a sudden suppossed to enjoy the film because Fincher paid great attention to detail?
There are some beautiful flourishes in there, regardless of period detail - the period detail, which people often amount to "realism" or "historical accuracy" - doesn't really excite me all that much, since I never lived in San Fransisco and never have; it's a far-away reality to me. But you didn't find worth in the overhead tracking shot of the taxi - which belied any use of CGI for me, and seemed incredibly ambitious and difficult in concept, but pulled off very well.

I'll tell you what, I'll anticipate a quote from you: "So what, it's a nice tracking shot, now I'm supposed to care about the film?"

Well, yeah; even if you deem it as a gimmick (which it may or may not be), it's still beautiful enough in and of itself to be "of worth", no? I mean in strictly cinematic terms.

Quote:
Oh, but then I could ask why make films in the first place? Why make anything? Why live?

I could easily say the same thing as you but apply it to Stalker. Tarkovsky didn't need to make that film to tell us about existentialism, did he?

Don't understand the "twinkle twinkle" part of your argument, either, but I'll assume it amounts to the ever-convincing, always-conclusive opinion of "whatever".

Last edited by Capo de La Cosa Nostra; 06/03/07 07:59 AM.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #397670
06/03/07 05:23 PM
06/03/07 05:23 PM
DonVitoCorleone Offline
Underboss
DonVitoCorleone  Offline
Underboss
 Quote:
Okay...

Quote:
It seemed it like it was trying to be wide open and mysterious like a Haneke film, but it ended up feeling overpolished and just average.
Wide-open and mysterious. Well, it goes to enormous lengths to, if anything, de-mystify the case. It's the opposite to "wide-open", to me. What do you mean by "overpolished"? Slick and smooth? Clean-looking? As opposed to grainy, perhaps, and hand-held? I don't see how being "overpolished" is a bad thing.

That's exactly what I mean by overpolished. It works sometimes, like in 2046 and Magnolia, but when the film rarely leaves a suburb/office/car setting like in Zodiac, it ends up being painfully dull.

Quote:
 Quote:
But a lot of our perceptions about a film's aesthetic is affected by what's actually happening in the film too.
I don't understand this, really. What's your point? Do you mean subject matter, as opposed to a film's style or "form"?

Yeah. For example, at first glance, Godard's films are nothing special visually, but when you watch the film, his visual style is always perfectly suitable to what he's filming.

Quote:
 Quote:
There are some beautiful flourishes in there, regardless of period detail - the period detail, which people often amount to "realism" or "historical accuracy" - doesn't really excite me all that much, since I never lived in San Fransisco and never have; it's a far-away reality to me. But you didn't find worth in the overhead tracking shot of the taxi - which belied any use of CGI for me, and seemed incredibly ambitious and difficult in concept, but pulled off very well.

I'll tell you what, I'll anticipate a quote from you: "So what, it's a nice tracking shot, now I'm supposed to care about the film?"

Well, yeah; even if you deem it as a gimmick (which it may or may not be), it's still beautiful enough in and of itself to be "of worth", no? I mean in strictly cinematic terms.

It's of worth to you since you found it to be a beautiful shot, and at the time I might have thought of it as beautiful as well (I can't really remember, which shows just how small of an impact the film had on me). But in the end, it's only one small part of a film that I hated.

Quote:
 Quote:
Oh, but then I could ask why make films in the first place? Why make anything? Why live?

I could easily say the same thing as you but apply it to Stalker. Tarkovsky didn't need to make that film to tell us about existentialism, did he?

Of course he didn't. But Stalker changed my life, so I'm glad Tarkovsky made it. I'm also glad Fincher made Zodiac, Juenet made Amelie, Anderson made Boogie Nights, and on and on. Watching bad films is essential in order to appreciate the films you love.

Twinkle, twinkle, blah blah...

Last edited by DonVitoCorleone; 06/03/07 05:23 PM.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: DonVitoCorleone] #397676
06/03/07 05:48 PM
06/03/07 05:48 PM
Right here, but I'd rather be ...
long_lost_corleone Offline
Underboss
long_lost_corleone  Offline
Underboss
Right here, but I'd rather be ...
Anderson made Boogie Nights

I'll still contest that Boogie Nights is fucking genius.

Speaking of which, where's MistaMista been hiding? I miss that savage bastard.

"Somebody told me when the bomb hits, everybody in a two mile radius will be instantly sublimated, but if you lay face down on the ground for some time, avoiding the residual ripples of heat, you might survive, permanently fucked up and twisted like you're always underwater refracted. But if you do go gas, there's nothing you can do if the air that was once you is mingled and mashed with the kicked up molecules of the enemy's former body. Big-kid-tested, motherf--ker approved."
Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: long_lost_corleone] #397826
06/03/07 11:40 PM
06/03/07 11:40 PM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline OP
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline OP
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
GHOST RIDER 1/2
(Second Viewing)

When the motorcyclist Johnny Blaze finds that his father Barton Blaze has a terminal cancer, he accepts a pact with the Mephistopheles, giving his soul for the health of his beloved father. But the devil deceives him, and Barton dies in a motorcycle accident during an exhibition. Johnny leaves the carnival, his town, his friends and his girlfriend Roxanne. Years later Johnny Blaze becomes a famous motorcyclist, who risks his life in his shows, and he meets Roxanne again, now a TV reporter. However, Mephistopheles proposes Johnny to release his contract if he become the "Ghost Rider" and defeat his evil son Blackheart, who wants to possess one thousand evil souls and transform hell on earth.

I think this movie actually got better with a second viewing. The special FX were amazing and Nicolas Cage and Sam Elloitt fit their roles beautifully. I think this is as close as any of those "B" comic franchises are going to get to the likes of X-MEN or SPIDER-MAN because this is definitely better than FANTASTIC FOUR, HULK, DAREDEVIL, THE PUNISHER, etc. I really hope they give this a sequel, although I'd only want it done with the same cast and crew.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: Irishman12] #397849
06/04/07 03:45 AM
06/04/07 03:45 AM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline OP
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline OP
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
THE CORPORATION
(First Viewing)

Since the late 18th century American legal decision that the business corporation organizational model is legally a person, it has become a dominant economic, political and social force around the globe. This film takes an in-depth psychological examination of the organization model through various case studies. What the study illustrates is that in the its behaviour, this type of "person" typically acts like a dangerously destructive psychopath without conscience. Furthermore, we see the profound threat this psychopath has for our world and our future, but also how the people with courage, intelligence and determination can do to stop it.

I actually picked this up on a whim at work. I didn't even know we carried it but I was looking for something interesting to watch before I go and I'm glad I picked this up. By and large I am against corporations and am tired of the commercialization that takes place in this country. If you're in the same boat I am, then this documentary will interest you as it takes an in depth look at how corporations and governments around the world are practically ruining this planet. However, before anyone wants to get cute I don't believe all corporations or businesses are bad. Many of them aren't but many of them are.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: Irishman12] #397984
06/04/07 02:51 PM
06/04/07 02:51 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
GHOST RIDER 1/2
(Second Viewing)

When the motorcyclist Johnny Blaze finds that his father Barton Blaze has a terminal cancer, he accepts a pact with the Mephistopheles, giving his soul for the health of his beloved father. But the devil deceives him, and Barton dies in a motorcycle accident during an exhibition. Johnny leaves the carnival, his town, his friends and his girlfriend Roxanne. Years later Johnny Blaze becomes a famous motorcyclist, who risks his life in his shows, and he meets Roxanne again, now a TV reporter. However, Mephistopheles proposes Johnny to release his contract if he become the "Ghost Rider" and defeat his evil son Blackheart, who wants to possess one thousand evil souls and transform hell on earth.

I think this movie actually got better with a second viewing. The special FX were amazing and Nicolas Cage and Sam Elloitt fit their roles beautifully. I think this is as close as any of those "B" comic franchises are going to get to the likes of X-MEN or SPIDER-MAN because this is definitely better than FANTASTIC FOUR, HULK, DAREDEVIL, THE PUNISHER, etc. I really hope they give this a sequel, although I'd only want it done with the same cast and crew.

The only good thing that didn't seem campy, cheesy, Silly, and H.L.(Hardcore Lame)* was Peter Fonda...too bad this video came stinker didn't give him enough to work with.

*=Hardcore Lame is when filmmakers or movies in general try to be "badass," only to end up looking super LAME.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #398019
06/04/07 04:53 PM
06/04/07 04:53 PM
The Ravenite Social Club
Don Cardi Offline
Caporegime
Don Cardi  Offline
Caporegime

The Ravenite Social Club
Two Family House

Two Family House is an independant film that tells the story of Buddy Visalo, a man who regrets that he has passed up the one opportunity offered to him early in his life. So Buddy strives to make up for that missed opportunity by attempting to make it in life trying different businesses and coming up with different ideas.

His latest idea is converting a run down two family house into a business called Buddy's Tavern. He decides that he and his wife will use the upstairs apartment as their home, and the downstairs will be where the tavern is. Sure enough, with Buddy's luck, it's not so easy getting rid of the tenants because the housing laws cause him all kinds of complications.

What starts out as a problem eventually evolves into a totally unexpected romance.

Buddy is played by Michael Rispoli, who is better known as mob boss Jackie Aprile from season one of The Sopranos, along with a supporting cast of Sopranos characters include Katherine Narducci (Charmaine Bucco ), Sharon Angela ( Rosemarie Aprile), Vincent Pastore ( Big Pussy ) & Matt Servidio ( agent Harris ).

A very entertaining and enjoyable film.

Don Cardi cool

Five - ten years from now, they're gonna wish there was American Cosa Nostra. Five - ten years from now, they're gonna miss John Gotti.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: Don Cardi] #398107
06/05/07 02:46 AM
06/05/07 02:46 AM
DonVitoCorleone Offline
Underboss
DonVitoCorleone  Offline
Underboss
Pierrot le Fou

I was underwhelmed by this film on my first viewing, and I honestly have no idea how that happened. I must have been half asleep, because right now I'm thinking this is quite possibly Godard's best film, and one of the greatest films ever made.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: DonVitoCorleone] #398164
06/05/07 11:07 AM
06/05/07 11:07 AM
DonVitoCorleone Offline
Underboss
DonVitoCorleone  Offline
Underboss
Godard said of Pierrot Le Fou that "it is not really a film, it's an attempt at cinema. Life is the subject, with [Cinema]Scope and color as its attributes...In short, life filling the screen as a tap fills bathtub that is simultaneously emptying at the same rate."

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0059592/trivia

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: DonVitoCorleone] #398179
06/05/07 11:55 AM
06/05/07 11:55 AM
Existential Well
svsg Offline
Underboss
svsg  Offline
Underboss
Existential Well
Godard said of Pierrot Le Fou that "it is not really a film, it's an attempt at cinema. Life is the subject, with [Cinema]Scope and color as its attributes...In short, life filling the screen as a tap fills bathtub that is simultaneously emptying at the same rate."

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0059592/trivia

I don't know if I will like this particular movie, but I like his allegory

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: svsg] #398286
06/05/07 04:55 PM
06/05/07 04:55 PM
Gateshead, UK

Gateshead, UK
Godard and Lynch are my two favourite filmmakers, if you didn't already know. Check him out, svsg. I dunno how familar you are with him; check out his first film, Breathless (A bout de souffle) first, and move from there. He's very challenging, very innovative, absolutely spellbinding at his best.

DVC, I'm really interested in what you'd make of Sympathy for the Devil. Check it out asap, please, and get back to me.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #398303
06/05/07 05:42 PM
06/05/07 05:42 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee
Godard and Lynch are my two favourite filmmakers, if you didn't already know. Check him out, svsg. I dunno how familar you are with him; check out his first film, Breathless (A bout de souffle) first, and move from there. He's very challenging, very innovative, absolutely spellbinding at his best.

DVC, I'm really interested in what you'd make of Sympathy for the Devil. Check it out asap, please, and get back to me.

Speaking of Lynch,

Capo, you ever read his legendary script treatment for RONNIE ROCKET?*

*=Now you all know where I got my username from.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #398306
06/05/07 05:52 PM
06/05/07 05:52 PM
Existential Well
svsg Offline
Underboss
svsg  Offline
Underboss
Existential Well

Breathless is the only Godardd movie I have seen. I didn't find anything special in it. I remember DVC pointing out that this movie was dealing with Americanization of France or something to that effect. I won't argue about its social significance, but as a plain movie, it didn't do anything special for me. Can you suggest me any more movies of his, that I can appreciate without any regard to the social impact or its historic significance in Cinema?

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #398307
06/05/07 05:53 PM
06/05/07 05:53 PM
Existential Well
svsg Offline
Underboss
svsg  Offline
Underboss
Existential Well

what about AGO in your username?

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: Capo de La Cosa Nostra] #398316
06/05/07 06:32 PM
06/05/07 06:32 PM
DonVitoCorleone Offline
Underboss
DonVitoCorleone  Offline
Underboss

Will do.

God-art has become my favorite filmmaker, and I've only seen 6 of his films. This Summer I'm going to make an attempt to see as many of his films as I can. Hopefully I can get through all of them.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: svsg] #398319
06/05/07 06:46 PM
06/05/07 06:46 PM
East Tennessee
R
ronnierocketAGO Offline
ronnierocketAGO  Offline
R

East Tennessee

what about AGO in your username?

Why not? ;\)

Besides, It gave a three-word prong to my name, almost like the name of a crappy Glam Rock tune.

"Ronnie Rocket...AGO!"

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: ronnierocketAGO] #398692
06/07/07 01:27 AM
06/07/07 01:27 AM
The Villa Quatro
Irishman12 Offline OP
UNDERBOSS
Irishman12  Offline OP
UNDERBOSS

The Villa Quatro
HANZO THE RAZOR: SWORD OF JUSTICE
(First Viewing)

Not enough fighting scenes and the few that were in the film were horribly choreographed. Also, this is suppose to be an honest, straight line walking cop, yet he's a rapist? Probably one of the weakest samurai movies I've ever seen.

Re: Movies You Just Watched Discussion [Re: Irishman12] #398695
06/07/07 02:11 AM
06/07/07 02:11 AM
Brazil
Tony Mosrite Offline
Underboss
Tony Mosrite  Offline
Underboss
Brazil
I absolutely love À bout de souffle too, and I'd also recommend Alphaville and a woman is a woman (a femme est une femme) . these 3 and pierrot le fou are the only Godard's films I have seen, but as for pierrot, I didn't like it at all. it was sooooo boring with all that singing and dancing in the bushes... I don't even remember what the hell it was about. obviously, one day in my time I'm still going to give it another shot.

"I'm just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick"
The Bunk
Page 231 of 319 1 2 229 230 231 232 233 318 319

Moderated by  Don Cardi, J Geoff, SC, Turnbull