More embracing than Sheffield?

----------------------------------------------------------------

Report: Damon might play some first base for Yankees

The New York Post reported Sunday that Johnny Damon was spotted working at first base on Saturday and the Yankees center fielder might eventually see some time at the position.

"[Joe Torre] told me to work there and in the [outfield] corners," Damon told the newspaper. "I am going to play [first] eventually. I am OK with it."

The Yankees are down a first baseman with Doug Mientkiewicz headed to the disabled list with a fractured bone in his right wrist.

Mientkiewicz collided with Boston's Mike Lowell on an errant throw by shortstop Derek Jeter in Saturday's game.

Mientkiewicz was taken from the field on a cart after banging his head on Lowell's hip while trying to one-hop Jeter's throw in the seventh inning.

Mientkiewicz was taken to Massachusetts General Hospital, where tests Saturday night revealed a mild concussion, cervical sprain and a fractured bone in his right wrist. He spent the night in the hospital for observation.

Mientkiewicz, a left-handed hitter, was platooning with right-handed hitting Josh Phelps at first base.

Damon will see most of his at-bats at designated hitter while Jason Giambi is on the disabled list. Damon played one game at first base last season and recorded three putouts in three chances.

Source: ESPN