a month or so ago, i actually made myself a mixtape compiling my favorite dylan songs. i normally don't make single artist mixes unless i'm making an intro mix for a member of the uninitiated (since i'll invariably choose to listen to the original albums over a self-assembled playlist), but i was talking with a friend of mine about our favorite dylan albums/songs, & it came up that i tend to have a "type" of dylan song that i gravitate towards. with this in mind, i compiled a mixtape of my favorite dylan songs to see if there was indeed a unifying theme or atmosphere permeating throughout. this was the final product (it's in chronological order by date & time recorded):

"with your eyes like smoke & your prayers like rhymes"

1.) "don't think twice, it's all right"
2.) "one too many mornings"
3.) "to ramona"
4.) "mama, you been on my mind"
5.) "i'll keep it with mine"
6.) "love minus zero/no limit"
7.) "it's alright, ma (i'm only bleeding)"
8.) "mr. tambourine man"
9.) "just like tom thumb's blues"
10.) "4th time around"
11.) "visions of johanna"
12.) "sad-eyed lady of the lowlands"
13.) "tonight i'll be staying here with you"
14.) "you're a big girl now"
15.) "if you see her, say hello"
16.) "buckets of rain"

i encourage any of you to attempt such a task; due to the stunningly high quality of dylan's early 60's through mid 70's work, it's incredibly difficult to trim it down to a mere 80-90 minutes. it took me quite a while & cost me alot of frustration. if any of you decide to try it, make sure to post the playlist here, i'd love to see how our tastes differ.

my top 5 favorite dylan songs are as follows:

1.) "mama, you been on my mind"
2.) "don't think twice, it's all right"
3.) "love minus zero/no limit"
4.) "i'll keep it with mine"
5.) "if you see her, say hello"

the power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it. george bernard shaw