Originally Posted By: Anthony Lombardi
but making music for yourself & fellow musicians only, & assuming that non-musicians don't understand music, is rather elitist & esoteric to me. it's rather silly to state that if you're not a musician you don't understand music;

I'm not quite sure if you're generalizing, or reflecting on my exact words, but that's not what I meant by my passages on jamming. I just think that a musician and a listener get two different things from a spontaneous act of music. But I think both points are viable and important. I kind of miss listening to music before having picked up an instrument, because I certainly listened to it from a different perspective.

But, then, what's lovely to me is different musician's will still listen to music differently. I think a drummer will listen to music differently than a guitarist. I think a bassist will try to listen to the common ground of a song to bring the two together. And so on.

What I'm getting at is the feeling or connection founded amongst musicians engaged in a jam. Which certainly is rather hard to explain to a non-musician, and pointless to explain to a musician.

Last edited by long_lost_corleone; 05/26/07 08:39 PM.

"Somebody told me when the bomb hits, everybody in a two mile radius will be instantly sublimated, but if you lay face down on the ground for some time, avoiding the residual ripples of heat, you might survive, permanently fucked up and twisted like you're always underwater refracted. But if you do go gas, there's nothing you can do if the air that was once you is mingled and mashed with the kicked up molecules of the enemy's former body. Big-kid-tested, motherf--ker approved."