Originally Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra
Not sure about the Beatles being the best songwriters ever. As far as verse-chorus-verse-chorus four-beats-to-a-bar popular music-that-everyone-can-cheer-to goes, they may be in with a shout.

don't you think that description is a bit reductive of the beatles' career? i find it almost insulting to the depth & profundity of their songwriting. can you name me one artist that had their stylistic range (from folk to country to blues to rockabilly to soul to r&b to music hall to psychedelic rock to hard rock, the list goes on & on & on) in such a short period of time, accomplished with such a dazzling array of success (including vast amounts of critical favor & praise nearly a half century later, peerless enduring popularity, record-breaking album sales & unmatched influence)? i doubt you could name a single musician. the beatles played these styles so successfully & exerted such influence - even now - that the type of music they popularised is commonly looked unfavorably upon as "simple pop/rock," but let's not forget that nobody was this daring before them & very few have been since. their production innovations, intricate arrangements & songwriting techniques have been worked so firmly into pop music that it's easy to reduce their music to mere vere-chorus-verse four-beats-to-a-bar rock & roll. the problem with discovering a work of art commonly lauded as influential at a later date is that you've probably encountered the work it influenced first, so its truly innovative qualities are lost - this is a real shame, especially with a band so wildly creative & talented.

Originally Posted By: goombah
That's not a shot against the Stones, but they've been making essentially the same music ever since Brian Jones left the band.

i'd hardly call such masterworks as sticky fingers, exile on main street & some girls - all recorded after brian's departure - "the same music" over & over again. to be fair, they didn't truly sink into that territory until the 80's.

Originally Posted By: Capo de La Cosa Nostra
Any thoughts and revisions welcome.

i'd end dylan's political era (& change the name to "topical") short of bringing it all back home since that album is filled with mostly surrealistic poetry, & it's mostly renown for his stylistic & lyrical diversions; an argument could be made for it ending before another side... as well, but i won't get nitpicky. also, desire was released in 1976, so the "love-torn" era should probably be extended thus far.

on another note, i quite like nashville skyline - it may be a bit slight in its ambition, but it's got a warm, earthy sound that's both comforting & friendly. i recall one critic referring to it as "a deep, humane & interesting statement about being happy" - i agree. not to mention, from a musically historical standpoint, it did much to popularise country-rock & concrete the genre as a significant force in pop music.

the power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it. george bernard shaw